Based in Oceana’s HQ office in Washington, D.C., the campaign intern will support Oceana’s campaign to stop expanded offshore drilling and related exploration. This is an exciting opportunity to support the campaign director and learn the brass tacks of campaigning during an important and fast-paced time. This position requires someone with a positive, can-do attitude who can take on both administrative and substantive challenges in order to meet our goal of preventing the expansion of offshore drilling and seismic airgun blasting.
A specific focus for the Campaign intern will involve writing materials for the campaign’s dedicated field organizers, including drafting various fact sheets, local op-eds, letters to the editor, and blog posts, as well as doing research and drafting internal documents.
Preferred start date will be Monday, January 8, 2018.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide on-going support for the Offshore Drilling Campaign Director.
- Excellent writing skills and political acumen.
- Conduct on-going research as-needed.
- Draft communications materials for the team, including local press releases, letters to the editor, and op-eds, as well as internal documents like background research memos.
- Assist with data entry, reporting, and maintenance using our Salesforce system.
- Assist with administrative tasks that include but are not limited to: expense reporting, media tracking, mailing packages/other correspondence, and placing orders for campaign materials.
- Other assignments as assigned.
Education and work experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree (political science, communications/ journalism, environmental science, or a related field).
- Experience completing projects under tight deadlines and effectively managing a demanding work load, multi-tasking and taking on new projects.
Skills and abilities:
- Flexibility to occasionally work late hours or on weekends may be required.
- Strong writing skills, particularly the ability synthesize complex scientific information into simple, publically digestible material.
- The ability to effectively juggle multiple tasks at once.
- Must be comfortable taking on new projects and working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Self-starter with creative reasoning.