The Digital Strategist will serve as the primary reporting role for Oceana’s international marketing and communications team for all digital needs. The position will work heavily within Oceana’s primary eCRM Engaging Networks, developing regular reports on fundraising, activism, advertising results and more. The Digital Strategist will also work in Salesforce and participate in efforts to further integrate and optimize the two CRMs. S/he will use data and testing from email, web and social media metrics to inform decisions and determine what e-mail campaigns, website projects and social media efforts to undertake—and how to execute them with coordinated, impactful strategy.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Report on Oceana’s performance across digital mediums.
- Plan measurement strategies for key performance indicators, and monitor existing properties to ensure all tracking and data-collection works properly
- Plan and develop website optimization strategies, tracking, touch points, and sales approach.
- Use testing to optimize Oceana projects on website, email, social media and other digital platforms.
- Execute day-to-day management of Oceana’s Constituent Relationship Management database Engaging Networks.
- Grow Oceana’s brand by analyzing and executing targeted marketing campaigns for our publications.
- Coordinate with Major Donor, Development and Corporate teams to provide necessary metrics and reporting to inform each program.
- Plan measurement strategies for key performance indicators, and monitor existing properties to ensure all tracking and data-collection works properly.
- Develop fundraising, activism and engagement content when called on, such as write fundraising emails, design social media graphics, create website pages using Drupal CMS.
- Study performance of similar organizations, evolutions in the industry space to glean best practices, recommend new channels.
- Streamline and provide regular website performance reporting to inform editorial decision making to increase high quality traffic and conversions on Oceana.org.
- Work alongside consultants, when necessary, to improve Oceana reporting and data harvesting capabilities.
- Performs additional duties as needed and/or assigned.
Education and work experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business or Business Analytics.
- Minimum 3 years digital marketing experience with at least 2 years of experience in measuring web, marketing, or overall digital performance.
- Demonstrate high-level skills in e-activism constituent relationship management databases, such as Engaging Networks, ActionKit or Blue State Digital.
- Demonstrate expertise in Excel.
- Experience with content management systems, such as Drupal or Wordpress.
- Google Analytics experience or experience with other analytics software.
- Familiarity with the principles of search engine optimization (SEO).
- Professional experience with social media paid advertising and paid search.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent critical thinking abilities and comfort working with data. Superior writing and verbal communication skills. Ability to work cooperatively with staff, other organizations and the public.
- Must be proactive, able to meet strict deadlines and work under pressure while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Ability to adapt to a fast changing environment, manage multiple assignments and coordinate with all levels within the organization.
- Ability to approach problems with a sense of ownership, enthusiasm and creativity.
- Demonstrate expertise in Excel.
- Strong web front end language skills (e.g., HTML, CSS).
- Understanding and embrace of data driven management and systems.
- Familiarity and interest in digital strategies for an international organization