Human Resources Manager - Madrid
Oceana is the largest international advocacy organization dedicated solely to ocean conservation. Oceana is rebuilding abundant and biodiverse oceans by winning science-based policies in countries that control one third of the world’s wild fish catch.
With over 100 victories that stop overfishing, habitat destruction, pollution and killing of threatened species like turtles and sharks, Oceana’s campaigns are delivering results.
A restored ocean means that one billion people can enjoy a healthy seafood meal, every day, forever. Together, we can save the oceans and help feed the world.
Our international team of marine scientists, economists, lawyers and advocates win specific and concrete policy changes to prevent the irreversible collapse of fish populations, marine mammals, plus other sea life and their ecosystems from overfishing, disrupting fishing practices and pollution, amongst others.
Location: Madrid, Spain
OCEANA seeks a Human Resources Manager to support our European Headquarters in Madrid.
- To provide efficient and effective HR services, policies, procedures and standards to Oceana Europe to run effectively and comply with relevant employment and labour laws.
- To work hand-in-hand with Oceana Europe COO and Global HR towards a common approach to attract, develop and retain key people for the organization.
- Responsible for the recruitments for all level positions
- Work closely with hiring managers to finalize job descriptions and grade the roles appropriately
- In consultation with the hiring manager, prepare job advertisements and post on relevant job platforms: handle recruitment logistics and maintain staff records
- Liaise with Global HR team to ensure all appropriate employee information is entered into the global recruiting platform
- Participates as panel member and coaches line managers in good interviewing techniques and best practices
- Manage staff induction events and ensure on-boarding for newcomers
HR Contract Management
- Conduct reference checks, agree on salary, make employment offers and draw up employment contracts
- Liaise with local authorities (Spain, Belgium, Denmark, UK and Switzerland) on employment issues and other queries Control, supervise and sign off on payroll payments and liaise with local payroll providers as required
Development of HR policies and procedures
- Develop HR standards, policies and procedures and monitor implementation
- Communicates effectively on all HR policies and procedures and ensures adherence
- Work with global HR to produce and regularly update the staff manual
Complying with relevant employment and labour laws
- Ensure that Oceana Europe complies with relevant employment and labour laws (in Spain, Belgium, Switzerland, Denmark and the United Kingdom)
- As and when required, liaise with external consultants and lawyers for specific employment and/or employee issues
Performance Appraisals & Compensation
- Support the Senior Management Team in driving the yearly Performance Management system cycle at Oceana Europe;
- Ensure that regular monitoring of performance is taking place throughout the year between staff member and his/her line manager
- Manage compensation process for Europe including mandatory, cost of living and other increases.
Key focal point for all Oceana Europe employee relations and queries
- Act as the point of contact for employee relations and other queries
- Provide guidance on labour law related questions as well as on performance and disciplinary issues
- Maintain and keep up to date all employee records
- Run exit interviews for those leaving the organization
- Perform other duties as assigned by the COO
Qualifications and experience:
- We are seeking an experienced candidate with a Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business or a related field and a minimum of 5 years professional experience managing HR functions in an international firm.
- Experience as a single person HR department in a division or a larger organization is required and experience in an international non-profit preferred.
- A strong working knowledge of recruiting, employee relations, performance management and compensation is required with extensive knowledge of labour laws in Spain (knowledge of Danish and Belgian labour laws an asset).
- Fluency in English and Spanish is essential and other languages (French, Danish or German) are desirable.
- The successful candidate will be a self-motivated person. The person should be used to working under pressure and respond promptly as necessary.
- Excellent writing, editing and communication skills.
- Attention to detail, strong follow-through and the demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to approach problems with a sense of ownership, enthusiasm and motivation.
- A proactive team player with a positive attitude.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and deal with sensitive issues in a calm and diplomatic way.
- Personal interest for ocean conservation
- The possibility of working in a young multicultural organization in an international environment.
- Full time contract.
- Flexible working day (8 hours a day).
- € 45,000 – 50,000 gross/year (commensurate with the selected candidate’s qualifications and experience).
To apply for the post:
Please send a cover letter stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the position, together with your CV/resume, in strict confidence, by email only to:
Please ensure that they are sent with the titles “Your name cover letter” and “Your name CV”. Please put “HR” in the email subject line. Also, please let us know where you saw the post advertised.
Only applicants being interviewed will be contacted.
Closing Date: 30 August 2017