We are looking for an ambitious Junior Accountant to provide support to the financial department by managing daily accounting tasks. You will be part of a team of professionals working to maintain order and transparency for Oceana’s finances.
The ideal candidate will be well-versed in accounting principles; able to work comfortably with numbers and attention to detail; and comfortable in a fast-paced environment.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Process invoices, vendor payments and employee reimbursements. Verify expenditures are coded to proper accounts.
- Review approved corporate credit card expense reports submitted for completeness and accuracy.
- Enter wire payments in the bank system and follow-up to ensure approval.
- Manage the distribution and termination process for corporate credit cards.
- Maintain accounts payable reports, spreadsheets and corporate accounts payable files.
- Assist with processing of semi-monthly payroll.
- Post journal entries for accrued expenses and revenue.
- Analyze and reconcile bank statements and general ledgers; correct errors by posting adjusting journal entries as needed.
- Maintain and record fixed assets and related depreciation.
- Complete requested materials and assist in preparing schedules for the annual audit.
- Prepare special reports; completes special projects. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain accounting controls by following policies and procedures; comply with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and reading professional publications.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and work experience:
- Undergraduate degree in accounting and one to three years of work experience performing similar accounting duties, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Payroll processing experience preferred.
Skills and knowledge:
- High degree of accuracy, attention to detail, well organized, and confidentiality.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Solid understanding of accounting and financial reporting principles and practices.
- Proficiency in MS Office and data entry including experience with accounting and spreadsheet programs.
- Effective verbal, listening and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and ability to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to follow standard filing procedures.
- Ability to interact with employees and vendors in a professional manner.
- Ability to work independently or as a team member.