Responsible Fishing and Shark Campaign Intern
Oceana is an international organization that focuses solely on oceans, and is dedicated to achieving measurable change by conducting scientific, fact-based campaigns with fixed deadlines and articulated goals. Oceana is dedicated to its advocacy on behalf of oceans and channels its resources to achieve measurable outcomes that will help return our oceans to former levels of abundance. These campaigns are regional and international, led by teams of dedicated and talented scientists, economists, lawyers and advocates focused on measuring and achieving tangible results for the oceans.
Oceana seeks an intern with strong science and/or policy experience to work on the responsible fishing and shark campaigns in the DC office.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide credible research and writing on shark conservation, bycatch, fisheries data and other conservation topics as needed.
- Assist in campaign planning and implantation and provide support to the campaign director, marine scientist and ocean advocate.
Education and work experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Marine Biology, Oceanography, Fisheries, Statistics, Environmental Studies, Political Science or a related field.
- Demonstrated interest in the oceans, fisheries, or the environmental field
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and capable of juggling multiple projects
- Organized working style and attention to detail is a must
- Adaptable to changing plans in a dynamic work environment
Skills and knowledge:
- Knowledge of fisheries science management and shark conservation
- Mapmaking experience with ArcGIS
- Demonstrated experience in statistic or data analysis fields
- Demonstrated experience in grassroots organizing or campaigning