Senior Development Manager – Maternity Cover
Oceana seeks to preserve and restore the bounty of the ocean as a source for wild-caught fish, as well as to preserve the marine ecosystem for our and future generations. Around the world, Oceana works to enable policies that protect ocean resources important for the economy, jobs, families, and communities.
Our vision is to make our oceans as rich, healthy and abundant as they once were.
Our campaigns seek to save the ocean, so the ocean can feed the world.
Critical to these endeavors is securing the necessary financial support.
About the Role
The Senior Development Manager role is a temporary assignment, based in Madrid. The incumbent will cover for the current Senior Development Manager who will be taking maternity leave from 15th January 2017 approximately until May 2017.
S/he will support Oceana´s efforts to secure financial support from donors.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Increase revenue from existing and new major donors.
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, and solicit a portfolio of donors, institutional organizations, private foundations and high net worth individuals in an effort to grow financial support to help Oceana in its mission to protect the world´s oceans. The incumbent will be responsible for the entire fundraising process from start to finish, including financial reporting back to the donor.
- Conduct and oversee research to identify new donors and ways to upgrade existing donors.
- Develop background briefing on possible donors, as well as develop PowerPoint presentations, proposals, reports, estimates, budgets and collateral materials for major donors and other stakeholders.
- Lead the development of proposals and reports for major donors and follow through with implementation when funding has been secured.
- Draft other fundraising-related correspondence and communication.
- Work closely with the Finance department to ensure that the proposals presented to potential donors are integrated as part of Oceana´s general budget.
- Work closely with the accounting department to ensure thorough follow up and detailed development of financial reports.
- Organise meetings with other foundations, industry stakeholders, governments, media, donors and the general public whenever required.
- Maintain a network of contacts with other NGOs, developing a working relationship that is both independent and collaborative.
- Draft the reports requested by the Senior Development Director.
- Help in the organization and coordination of Oceana´s cultivation events as required.
- Collaborate with the Oceana team worldwide as required.
- Work with development team to keep the database for big and small donors updated at all times.
Qualifications and experience:
- A university degree and a minimum 5 years of experience in fundraising or related stakeholder relations work with at least three years at a senior level or an equivalent combination of education or experience.
- Demonstrable track record of success in fundraising.
- Experience working in environment and/or marine conservation is an asset.
- Excellent communication, presentation and writing skills.
- Fluent English required.
- Accomplished interpersonal and networking skills.
- Proven management capabilities, mentoring and coaching skills.
- Personal resilience, ability to operate in a start-up environment.
- Passion for oceans and conservation.
- Willingness and ability to travel regularly.
- Able to handle sensitive information in a confidential manner.
- Able to exhibit diplomacy and tact at all times.
To apply: Please email your curriculum to the following email address