Digital Media Fellow
Location: Washington, D.C.
Department: Marketing & Communications
Oceana seeks a Digital Media Fellow to work closely with the web and e-activism team to help execute digital advocacy strategy and tactics for Oceana’s overarching campaigns. We work every day to be more effective and creative in online and mobile advocacy, and are looking to add capacity and a creative mind to the team. This person will work with communications and campaign staff to create website content, action pages and other digital content to help meet Oceana’s communication goals—including increasing online actions, sign-ups, donations, website traffic and other engagement.
The fellow will take part in all e-activism team meetings and strategy session, contributing their ideas and perspective. The fellowship is designed to give someone with strong skills, but not necessarily as much experience, direct digital advocacy experience and the opportunity to grow professionally. They will learn and contribute in data reporting and analysis, content creation, strategy, and campaign execution. The ideal candidate will have a passion for environmental conservation, some experience with online advocacy campaigns, and always be looking for ways to improve their work and their team’s work at-large. This position reports to the digital media manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Writing and creating content including blog posts, web pages, and action elements designed to support campaign and team goals
- Building action pages in our CRM, ActionKit
- Regularly running data reports and doing initial analysis to improve results
- Identifying opportunities with the e-activism team to advance campaign and fundraising goals, including through messaging, calls to action and segmentation
- Supporting campaigners and organizers with custom reports, localized email blasts, and logistical help
- Other duties as needed
Education/Experience or Other Requirements
- Previous experience driving digital engagement and content strategy
- Demonstrated curiosity, humility and a constant urge to learn and improve
- Ability to digest scientific and technical concepts for lay audiences
- Very strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, an ability to effectively manage multiple projects and initiative to be productive during waiting periods
- Attention to detail, strong follow-through, and the demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Minimum basic ability in HTML and CSS
- Experience working with Drupal, Wordpress or comparable CMS
- Google analytics experience or experience with other analytics software
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Interest in ocean conservation a plus
Freedom to Act
This position receives broad work direction and objectives. Latitude is given to the position to determine approaches, procedures, and methodologies for accomplishing the work. Work receives review from the Communications Manager.
Oceana offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and 403(b) package (EOE)