Energy Analyst - Climate Campaign
Location: Washington, D.C.
Oceana, an international conservation organization dedicated to protecting the world’s oceans is seeking a Washington, DC-based Energy Analyst to work with us to promote a shift from offshore oil and gas to clean energy. The Energy Analyst will be an issue expert on offshore oil and gas and clean energy. The successful candidate will possess expertise on issues related to energy procurement and development, and be familiar with information sources and policy level research techniques. The incumbent should also be proficient with basic energy/environmental economics principles. Good communication skills are necessary as well, including writing, public speaking and interpersonal skills. Media relations experience is a plus. Some travel is required.
The successful candidate will have responsibilities in the following areas:
Research: Initiate and conduct research to support Oceana’s goals with sound technical analysis, factual arguments and intelligence to help develop and Oceana’s position and message.
Writing: Write reports, fact sheets and comments on government actions and other outreach materials, and help with the development of press materials, blog posts, newsletters, and the like.
Media Relations: Serve as an Oceana expert on energy-related issues.
Strategy Development: Work as a member of a team helping to frame the issues, and to develop solutions and strategies for achieving them.
Government and Public Relations: Serve as a resource for Oceana’s government relations and public outreach efforts, including helping with legislative analysis and outreach to energy professionals, decision makers and elected officials. Be familiar with and comply with legal requirements and Oceana policies concerning lobbying, including reporting lobbying time and expenses.
Undertake additional projects as requested by senior staff and perform other duties as assigned.
Education/Experience or Other Requirements
- Research and communications experience on clean energy and/or offshore drilling. Advanced degrees, including a JD or masters degree in related fields, or relevant research may count toward a candidate's professional experience.
- Background on energy issues, including clean energy, and preferably offshore wind energy required.
- Graduate degree preferred.
- Offshore drilling related expertise strongly preferred.
- Must be the type of person who takes initiative.
- Strong verbal and written skills.
- Personal commitment to Oceana’s mission and goals.
- Computer literacy, particularly with Microsoft Office applications.
- Some travel may be required
Oceana provides a competitive compensation package, including comprehensive health, dental, vision, and 403(b) plan, and generous leave.
Oceana is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).