Location: Washington, D.C.
Oceana is seeking a Marine Scientist based in Washington, DC. Oceana is an international policy advocacy organization for marine conservation and has approximately 135 staff located in six countries. The Marine Scientist is a key member of Oceana’s headquarters team, playing a substantive role in evaluating science and policy related to global fisheries for our Save the Oceans, Feed the World initiative. The Marine Scientist plays a role in, and may have primary responsibility for, preparing technical reports, developing the scientific foundation for our work on global fisheries and supporting country offices as directed by the Chief Scientist and Strategy Officer. The position requires a combination of equally strong research, critical thinking and communication skills.
- Carries out credible research on global fisheries, aquaculture, and marine conservation themes.
- Reviews fisheries at the national level in countries across Latin America, Asia and Africa.
- Gathers information through literature searches, data mining, and expert interviews; builds and analyzes large datasets.
- Writes, edits, and presents materials which provide the scientific foundation for Oceana’s work. Drafts science-based policy recommendations and prepares reports with meticulous attention to detail.
- Reviews external communications with funders and the public to ensure scientific integrity and the accurate portrayal of complex issues.
- Develops a strong network of scientists and personal expertise in fisheries management within developing and developed country contexts.
- Cultivates relationships on behalf of Oceana at external meetings with allies, stakeholders, government representatives, and other organizations.
- Manages a varied and high volume workload and works independently to meet deadlines and accomplish tasks.
- Contributes as a part of a team to support the development of Oceana’s initiative to Save the Oceans, Feed the World.
- May supervise consultants and interns.
- Performs additional duties as needed and/or assigned.
- Master’s degree with a major in a relevant scientific discipline such as biology, marine biology, ecology and evolution, fisheries science, environmental science, environmental management required.
- At least three years of relevant job experience.
- Excellent writing, editing, communication and research skills required.
- Ability to speak, write and understand at least one language other than English.
- Ability to build and analyze large datasets.
- Familiarity with marine ecosystems, fisheries management, aquaculture and seafood trade.
- Must be willing to accept varied workload. Some long hours, weekend events, alternative hours to accommodate international time zones and travel may be required.
- Must have the ability to handle many tasks simultaneously in a dynamic work environment with speed, accuracy, and a positive attitude; show initiative, and exhibit insightful planning and understanding of abstract concepts.
- Must maintain strict confidentiality in working with sensitive information, and possess excellent judgment in handling communications, expense budgets, other issues and personal relationships.
- Must exercise sound judgment and be able to represent Oceana in a professional and responsive manner.
- Organized working style with attention to detail.
- Ability to travel is if necessary
Preferred but not required:
- Fluency in at least one additional language, including in particular Portuguese, Spanish, French, Filipino or Visayan, or Vietnamese.
- Experience living both in and outside of the United States, familiarity with cultural norms in Asia, Africa or Latin America.
- Proficiency with MS Office, ESRI ArcMap and Adobe Creative Suite.
The successful candidate must be available for full-time work in Washington, DC. If necessary, applicants must be able to procure their own visa in order to be eligible to work in the United States.
How to apply:
Applications are reviewed as they are received. Your cover letter will be viewed as a writing sample. Please highlight why your experience is a good fit for this position and include the date you are available.