Location: Washington, D.C.
Oceana is searching for a creative and talented writer who wants to use the power of the written word to guide fundraising and advocacy efforts for global ocean conservation.
We are looking for a creative, talented, and strategic and organized proposal manager to secure foundation grants for Oceana, helps the organization to meet its annual revenue goals and ensure that our foundation donors see themselves as collaborative partners in the work they are supporting. As part of a new long-term vision for ocean conservation, Oceana is focusing on effective fisheries management in the world’s largest fish producing countries to help address global food security, in addition to the overall ocean health, by rebuilding fisheries on a globally significant scale.
We set out do this by weaving together science, law, advocacy, grassroots organizing and media/communications to bring about policy changes that address the most urgent problems confronting the earth’s marine environment. Oceana’s approach is to achieve measurable policy changes at local and national levels through targeted campaigns. To move us toward accomplishing our multi-year campaign goals, we set annual objectives, taking advantage of any political opportunities particular to the countries where we work. Our campaigns are both international and regional, in the U.S., Europe, Chile, Belize, and most recently in Brazil and The Philippines.
The proposal manager oversees and coordinates teams comprised of Oceana’s scientists, policy advocates, finance and accounting teams and senior leadership to develop proposals and reports in response to donor solicitations and organizationally-determined priority areas. The position develops and maintains specialized knowledge of specific regions and countries - currently Europe, North America (Canada, U.S and Mexico), South America (Chile and Brazil), Central America (Belize) and Southeast Asia (The Philippines). This position offers an opportunity for creativity and initiative, and will involve significant interaction with OCEANA’s program staff – in all of its regions – and will require staying current on OCEANA’s campaigns. This position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the Sr. Director of Institutional Giving.
- Develop and write foundation proposals, reports, letters of inquiry, and other foundation-related materials as necessary. Assist in review of such documents from OCEANA regional offices.
- Manage Foundations Resource Library, a searchable library of proposals and reports , as well as other valuable research and writing materials.
- Lead proposal development teams, liaising with campaign, finance, communication, contracts, and in-country staff to ensure high quality, cohesive proposals that are grounded in solid ocean conservation and compliant with donor requirements and regulations.
- Maintain and update Foundations team resources, including manuals, style guides, as well as proposals and reports.
- Gather campaign and project information from program staff and other sources and consult with as necessary for grant requests, reports, and other foundation-related documents.
- In collaboration with Finance, oversees proposal budgets by tracking and monitoring expenditures for grant reporting.
- Maintain grant management system and flag reporting and proposal deadlines in coordination with Foundation Associate to ensure that all proposals and reports are submitted in a timely manner and in accordance with donor requirements.
- Make recommendations on how to modify and improve campaign tools.
- Remain current on latest funding trends, policies, and innovations for ocean conservation that align with Oceana’s current and expanding core business.