Research Operations Manager
Location: New York, NY
Oceana, a results oriented global non-profit dedicated to protecting and restoring the world’s oceans, is seeking an experienced Research Operations Manager to work with the Major Gifts Team and the Vice President of Global Development in the New York Office of Oceana. Oceana is an international policy advocacy organization for marine conservation and has approximately 135 staff located in six countries and a budget of approximately $20 million.
The Research and Operations Manager plays a pivotal role in providing prospect research and donor information for the Major Gifts Team and senior leadership. The position is responsible for recording, tracking, reporting and analyzing donor information. S/he works in the Major Gifts Team to achieve short-term and long- term fundraising objectives. The position manages Oceana’s donor data-management system. The Research Operations Manager position is responsible for conducting research to provide the Major Gifts Team a steady stream of new prospects who are capable of providing significant charitable gifts to Oceana. S/he oversees the timely movement of previously identified prospects through a moves management system, sharing relevant information with appropriate members of the Major Gifts Team and senior leadership in a timely fashion. In addition, this individual helps keep track of progress and the status of revenue streams. He/she helps identify activity and revenue stream that need extra attention for the overall success of the team. The Research Operations Manager must be able to make decisions, set priorities, and exercise judgment in all job responsibilities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains integrity and security for the database and information systems and conducts the updating of donor information.
- Identifies major gift donor prospects and provides research.
- Prepares weekly, monthly, and annual reports on all individual donor activity and on progress toward goals to date.
- Collects, synthesizes and enters information into the database for all donor meetings, correspondence, activities, including next steps to ensure effective moves management.
- Creates calendars of moves management next steps for the Major Gifts Team.
- Prepares and completes all Major Gift and senior leadership acknowledgements.
- Prepares lists for all donor relations initiatives: appeals, planned giving, newsletters, invitations, annual reports, etc.
- Assists in training of staff on the database.
- Performs additional duties as needed and/or assigned.
Education/Experience or Other Requirements
- At least three years’ experience managing a donor database, including advanced proficiency and ability to utilize all of the features and functions of several database systems.
- Proficiency in conceptualizing and developing proactive prospecting techniques, such as list segmenting, data-mining and peer screening.
- Understanding of wealth indicators and wealth and ratings to translate information into appropriate gift estimates.
- Strong analytical thinking and good understanding of fundraising principles.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization.
- Demonstrated experience in running member/donor reports and data analysis.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite/Windows 7.0 software, including the ability to execute mail merge in both letters and emails.
- Solid organizational skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience in communicating with people at all levels of the organization.
· Bachelor of Arts degree.
Oceana offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) retirement plan and generous leave.
Oceana is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).