Campaign Director, Responsible Fishing
Washington, DC, USA
A tiny alcove in the West Wing of the White House isn’t the first place one would go looking for a
budding marine conservationist, but that’s where Dominique started her career. Thousands of miles from her hometown beaches in Hawaii and California, Dominique quietly vowed to make a difference for the oceans someday.
For eighteen years, Dominique has been delivering results for other people and for other worthy causes. Dominique obtained a degree in political science from UC San Diego and then served in the Congressional Youth Leadership Council, The Clinton Administration White House, Pepperdine University, founded Big Wave Consulting – a government, community and media relations firm, and most recently served as the Director of Advocacy and Government Relations for UC San Diego.
In 2010, her vow to help protect the oceans became a reality. She helped shark eco-tour operators and film makers increase awareness of the precipitous decline in shark populations through personal lobbying efforts and by organizing a film screening at the California state Capitol. Soon thereafter, she was enlisted to help shark conservationists in Hawaii duplicate their landmark shark fin ban in California. She entered the prestigious Marine Biodiversity and Conservation program at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, completing her master’s degree in 2011.
Dominique continued to find ways to support the oceans in her personal life. She served as a board member with the League of Conservation Voters San Diego and has lobbied legislators to increase protections for the California coastal and marine environment during California Ocean Lobby Day.
In October of 2013, Dominique joined Oceana as the Campaign Director for Responsible Fishing. She’s looking forward to drawing upon her eighteen years of government, political, communications and management experience to protect and preserve our oceans.
Dominique’s Ocean Favorite’s
- Favorite Fish to Look at = Parrotfish
- Favorite Fish to Eat = Hawaiian Ono
- Favorite Ocean Friend to Swim With = Hawaiian Green Turtle
- Favorite “Dream Adventure” = Cage Dive with Great White Sharks in Isla Guadalupe, Mexico
- Favorite Ocean Activity = Stand-Up Paddle Boarding with the family & removing trash from the ocean
- Favorite Beaches = Coronado Beach, California & Anaehoomalu Beach, Hawaii’s Big Island
- Favorite Forgotten, But Important Ocean Organism = Cyanobacteria – thank them for the air we breathe!