I'm a little tardy on this one, apologies, I just noticed it: the New York Times published a fascinating piece this week about the suspected crash of horseshoe crab populations as a result of being harvested for use as fishing bait.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has some sad news: the Caribbean monk seal is extinct. The last confirmed sighting of the seal was in 1952, and it's the first type of seal to go extinct from human causes. Perhaps this will be a wake-up call to protect the remaining Hawaiian and Mediterranean monk seals, both of which are endangered and at risk of extinction.
The most popular story right now on current.com is about shark finning, a horrific practice that most people know nothing about, and that Oceana is campaigning to stop. Millions of sharks are indiscriminately killed every year to satiate a growing hunger for shark fin soup, a delicacy in some countries.
Finning isn't the only challenge sharks are up against. Sharks are also caught for meat and as bycatch. Click here to access an exclusive Oceana slideshow of images of shark fishing around the world, including finning.
Yesterday's New York Times featured an eloquently urgent op-ed about the demise of wild Pacific salmon. The author, Taras Grescoe, is swearing off salmon for two simple reasons: "it's too scarce and too expensive." While wild Atlantic salmon are already commercially extinct, the commercial Chinook season in California and most of Oregon has been canceled for the first time in 160 years.
- New Shark Repellent May Keep Sharks from Becoming Bycatch Posted Wed, October 22, 2014
- Photos: Three Days Swimming around the Hawaiian Na Pali Coast Posted Fri, October 24, 2014
- CEO Note: Introducing Lars “Lasse” Gustavsson, Oceana in Europe’s New Senior Vice President and Executive Director Posted Tue, October 21, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Great Barrier Reef Health “Never Been Worse,” Coral Could Be New Substitute for Bone Grafts, and More Posted Thu, October 23, 2014
- Sam Talbot's Fish Tacos with Tomato Salsa and Citrus Crema Posted Fri, October 24, 2014