Not only are oceans and ocean life vital to human survival; the underwater world has always fascinated and inspired us. Few of us, though, have the chance to explore that world ourselves. To give our readers a glimse into life under the waves, we'll be featuring underwater photos and photographers on a regular basis. Artists, get in touch! And everyone - please share stories from underwater adventures.
"I followed this mated pair off Little Caymay for 20-plus minutes, shooting most of a roll of 36, to get just the perfect shot." (Grey angelfish are believed to mate for life.)
PHOTOGRAPHER: Chuck Botts
BASED OUT OF: Monrovia, MD
How did you become an underwater photographer? Having been a photographer since getting my first camera at the age of nine, it was only natural that I took one with me when taking up SCUBA at fifty. Plus, my photos let me share the magnificence, fragility and awesome variety of the sea with those unable or unwilling to visit personally.
Conservation mantra: "Treat the sea as you would your children; you may need to depend on them someday."
- Ocean News: U.S. to Auction Off New Jersey Area for Offshore Wind, Baby Sea Turtles Found to Make Noises, and More Posted Fri, July 18, 2014
- Video: Spangled Emperor Fish Dazzle the Great Barrier Reef Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Marine Mammal Unusual Mortality Events Get the Spotlight on Capitol Hill Posted Fri, July 18, 2014
- Obama Administration Approves Seismic Airgun Use off the Atlantic Coast In Spite of Local Opposition and Threats to Marine Life Posted Fri, July 18, 2014
- Ocean News: Green Sea Turtle Makes Longest Migration Ever Recorded, Small Oil Spill Found off of Italy, and More Posted Mon, July 21, 2014