G. Bruce Knecht is an award-winning Wall Street Journal reporter. His new book, Hooked: Pirates, Poaching and the Perfect Fish comes out in bookstores today and takes a close look at pirate fishing and how our taste for certain seafood, especially Chilean sea bass, have enormous consequences for the world around us. In the book, Bruce describes one of the longest pursuits in nautical history - Australian patrols chasing after an illegal fishing vessel named Viarsa. Viarsa's owner, Antonio Vidal, has long been associated with pirate fishing issues all over the world and Oceana has been working to bring a halt to his illegal fishing activities. He was recently arrested by US authorities in Miami.
Bruce has kindly agreed to write some blog entries about his book. Be on the lookout for them this week.
- Graphics: New Oceana Study Finds Shrimp Misrepresented in the U.S. Posted Thu, October 30, 2014
- Uncovering Shrimp Seafood Fraud: Diaries from the Field, Part One Posted Fri, October 31, 2014
- Celebrate National Seafood Month with This Sustainable Recipe: Diver Scallops Posted Wed, October 29, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Seagrass Travels via Ocean Currents, Plump Leatherbacks Can Swim More Easily, and More Posted Thu, October 30, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Scientists Call for “Bold” Action on Overfishing, Shipping Company Pleads Guilty to 2013 Molasses Spill, and More Posted Mon, October 27, 2014