G. Bruce Knecht is an award-winning Wall Street Journal reporter. His new book, Hooked: Pirates, Poaching and the Perfect Fish comes out in bookstores today and takes a close look at pirate fishing and how our taste for certain seafood, especially Chilean sea bass, have enormous consequences for the world around us. In the book, Bruce describes one of the longest pursuits in nautical history - Australian patrols chasing after an illegal fishing vessel named Viarsa. Viarsa's owner, Antonio Vidal, has long been associated with pirate fishing issues all over the world and Oceana has been working to bring a halt to his illegal fishing activities. He was recently arrested by US authorities in Miami.
Bruce has kindly agreed to write some blog entries about his book. Be on the lookout for them this week.
- Video: Oceana Exposes Illegal Drift Gillnet Use in Italy Posted Mon, July 21, 2014
- Loggerhead Sea Turtles Gain Protection with Swordfish Drift Gillnet Fishery Restriction Posted Fri, July 25, 2014
- Ocean News: June 2014 Marked the Hottest on Record, Microplastics Worse for Crabs than Thought, and More Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Tackling Illegal Fishing in Italy: Behind the Scenes Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Chilean Salmon Industry Found to Use Highest Amount of Antibiotics Worldwide Posted Tue, July 22, 2014