G. Bruce Knecht is an award-winning Wall Street Journal reporter. His new book, Hooked: Pirates, Poaching and the Perfect Fish comes out in bookstores today and takes a close look at pirate fishing and how our taste for certain seafood, especially Chilean sea bass, have enormous consequences for the world around us. In the book, Bruce describes one of the longest pursuits in nautical history - Australian patrols chasing after an illegal fishing vessel named Viarsa. Viarsa's owner, Antonio Vidal, has long been associated with pirate fishing issues all over the world and Oceana has been working to bring a halt to his illegal fishing activities. He was recently arrested by US authorities in Miami.
Bruce has kindly agreed to write some blog entries about his book. Be on the lookout for them this week.
- Ocean Roundup: Shell Seeks to Extend Arctic Drilling Period, Great Barrier Reef Protection Plan “Inadequate,” and More Posted Wed, October 29, 2014
- CEO NOTE: Chilean Oil Spill Harms Local Wildlife, Fishing Communities Posted Thu, October 30, 2014
- Federal Government Takes Steps to Better Monitor Bycatch in Southeast and Gulf Fisheries Posted Mon, October 27, 2014
- Meet the Eerie Stargazer, Wolf-Fish, and Polka Dot Batfish: The Halloween Creature Feature Edition Posted Wed, October 29, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Costa Rica Restricts Industrial Tuna Fishing, West Coast Sea Stars May Be Making a Comeback, and More Posted Fri, October 24, 2014