G. Bruce Knecht is an award-winning Wall Street Journal reporter. His new book, Hooked: Pirates, Poaching and the Perfect Fish comes out in bookstores today and takes a close look at pirate fishing and how our taste for certain seafood, especially Chilean sea bass, have enormous consequences for the world around us. In the book, Bruce describes one of the longest pursuits in nautical history - Australian patrols chasing after an illegal fishing vessel named Viarsa. Viarsa's owner, Antonio Vidal, has long been associated with pirate fishing issues all over the world and Oceana has been working to bring a halt to his illegal fishing activities. He was recently arrested by US authorities in Miami.
Bruce has kindly agreed to write some blog entries about his book. Be on the lookout for them this week.
- Ocean Roundup: Deep Sea Sediments Act as Microplastic Sinks, Risso’s Dolphins Stranding in High Numbers, and More Posted Thu, December 18, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Task Force Releases Recommendations on Seafood Fraud, Sea Otters Critical to Healthy Marshes, and More Posted Tue, December 16, 2014
- Video: Drone Captures Amazing Humpback Whale Feeding Event on Camera Posted Thu, December 18, 2014
- Presidential Task Force Releases Bold Recommendations for Tackling Seafood Fraud and Illegal Fishing Posted Tue, December 16, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Chevron Withdraws Drilling Plans from the Arctic, Peru Issues Ban on Shrimp Fishing, and More Posted Fri, December 19, 2014