Conservation groups have spent the last few years fighting to make sure that FDA warnings about mercury are actually shared with consumers and we're starting to have some real success in getting the message out. Many consumers, especially expecting mothers, now know about these warnings and are closely monitoring which - and how much - seafood they eat in a given week to avoid mercury contamination. But as the New York Times reports, a recent study shows that mercury has spread further than previously thought.
This "eye opening" study tested songbirds in New York and found that EVERY ONE had elevated levels of mercury - meaning that mercury is now literally finding its way into our backyards. Check it out (registration required).
- Ocean News: Great Barrier Reef Will be “Pretty Ugly” by 2050, Sea Turtle Nests Down in South Carolina, and More Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Eleven Florida Lawmakers Urge President Obama to Reconsider Approval for Seismic Airgun Testing Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Video: Spangled Emperor Fish Dazzle the Great Barrier Reef Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Ocean News: Regulators Propose Whale Sanctuary in the Canary Islands, Harbor Seals Found to Forage around Wind Farms, and More Posted Thu, July 24, 2014
- Photos: A Look at Some of the Ocean’s Most Beautiful Tentacles Posted Thu, July 24, 2014