If you've never felt the stinging sensation of a jellyfish, count yourself lucky. It's like lemon juice in a paper cut, but longer lasting. The only thing worse than a jellyfish sting, is hundreds of jellyfish stings.
Scientists recently announced a jellyfish bloom on the Spanish Mediterranean coast, and the crew onboard Oceana's Ranger is witnessing the invasion firsthand.
What's causing the massive increase? Glad you asked:
- increase in "nutrients" (aka ocean pollution);
- increase in water temperature (aka global warming); and
- decrease in predators (aka overfishing)
For all of you right-brained people, get a sense of the situation through this new video.
- Hands Across the Sand Posted Wed, April 16, 2014
- Drill, Spill, Repeat? Posted Mon, April 21, 2014
- CEO Note: Four Years After the BP Gulf Disaster Posted Mon, April 21, 2014
- Wind Power: Changing the Way We Live off the Earth Posted Tue, April 22, 2014