A few days ago, I came across this blog, by Doctor Mark Hyman touting the medicinal properties of food. During his recent trip to China, the doctor was "treated" to the "delicacy" shark fin soup which he claims can help ease arthritis and possible fight cancer. Oceana responded to his blog, pointing out that shark fin soup can actually be detrimental to one's health, but I thought many of you would appreciate hearing the full story, as shark finning has been popping up in the news lately.
- ABC News: Decimating Shark Populations for some soup
- The Guardian: Teeth bared in battle over world shark stocks
- Underwater times: Chefs Divided Over Shark Fin Use Amid Reports of Species Decline
As for the nutritional argument, there is scant scientific evidence, if any, that shark fin soup has any nutritional benefits whatsoever (however there is ample evidence that finning millions of sharks is not good for the future of sharks in general...). The drying, bleaching, and lengthy cooking process the fins go through before ending up in one's soup bowl remove any nutritional benefits that would have existed in the first place.
Not too mention, these cooking methods reduce the water content of the fin, thus concentrating numerous heavy metals, including mercury. The FDA has a mercury warning for shark meat - and shark fins are high in mercury too.
I just love when I can talk about two of our campaigns at once.
In short, just say no to shark fin soup. Yao did.
- Ocean Roundup: Florida Receives Federal Help for Oyster Recovery, Climate Change Linked to Iceland’s Puffin Decline, and More Posted Thu, August 28, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Methane Seeping from U.S. Atlantic Seafloor, Iceland’s Caught Scores of Endangered Fin Whales, and More Posted Mon, August 25, 2014
- Creature Feature: Barnacles Posted Tue, August 26, 2014
- Court Requests Changes to the North Pacific Fisheries Observer Program be Reconsidered Posted Thu, August 28, 2014
- Seaweed Spotlight: A Rare Glimpse into Beautiful Ocean Kelp Forests (Photos) Posted Mon, August 25, 2014