A few days ago, I came across this blog, by Doctor Mark Hyman touting the medicinal properties of food. During his recent trip to China, the doctor was "treated" to the "delicacy" shark fin soup which he claims can help ease arthritis and possible fight cancer. Oceana responded to his blog, pointing out that shark fin soup can actually be detrimental to one's health, but I thought many of you would appreciate hearing the full story, as shark finning has been popping up in the news lately.
- ABC News: Decimating Shark Populations for some soup
- The Guardian: Teeth bared in battle over world shark stocks
- Underwater times: Chefs Divided Over Shark Fin Use Amid Reports of Species Decline
As for the nutritional argument, there is scant scientific evidence, if any, that shark fin soup has any nutritional benefits whatsoever (however there is ample evidence that finning millions of sharks is not good for the future of sharks in general...). The drying, bleaching, and lengthy cooking process the fins go through before ending up in one's soup bowl remove any nutritional benefits that would have existed in the first place.
Not too mention, these cooking methods reduce the water content of the fin, thus concentrating numerous heavy metals, including mercury. The FDA has a mercury warning for shark meat - and shark fins are high in mercury too.
I just love when I can talk about two of our campaigns at once.
In short, just say no to shark fin soup. Yao did.
- Chilean Salmon Industry Found to Use Highest Amount of Antibiotics Worldwide Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Ocean News: Great Barrier Reef Will be “Pretty Ugly” by 2050, Sea Turtle Nests Down in South Carolina, and More Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Eleven Florida Lawmakers Urge President Obama to Reconsider Approval for Seismic Airgun Testing Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Ocean News: U.S. to Auction Off New Jersey Area for Offshore Wind, Baby Sea Turtles Found to Make Noises, and More Posted Fri, July 18, 2014
- Video: Spangled Emperor Fish Dazzle the Great Barrier Reef Posted Wed, July 23, 2014