A few days ago, I came across this blog, by Doctor Mark Hyman touting the medicinal properties of food. During his recent trip to China, the doctor was "treated" to the "delicacy" shark fin soup which he claims can help ease arthritis and possible fight cancer. Oceana responded to his blog, pointing out that shark fin soup can actually be detrimental to one's health, but I thought many of you would appreciate hearing the full story, as shark finning has been popping up in the news lately.
- ABC News: Decimating Shark Populations for some soup
- The Guardian: Teeth bared in battle over world shark stocks
- Underwater times: Chefs Divided Over Shark Fin Use Amid Reports of Species Decline
As for the nutritional argument, there is scant scientific evidence, if any, that shark fin soup has any nutritional benefits whatsoever (however there is ample evidence that finning millions of sharks is not good for the future of sharks in general...). The drying, bleaching, and lengthy cooking process the fins go through before ending up in one's soup bowl remove any nutritional benefits that would have existed in the first place.
Not too mention, these cooking methods reduce the water content of the fin, thus concentrating numerous heavy metals, including mercury. The FDA has a mercury warning for shark meat - and shark fins are high in mercury too.
I just love when I can talk about two of our campaigns at once.
In short, just say no to shark fin soup. Yao did.
- Ocean Roundup: Chevron Withdraws Drilling Plans from the Arctic, Peru Issues Ban on Shrimp Fishing, and More Posted Fri, December 19, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Humpback Whales Communicate to Feed at Night, Bangladesh Oil Spill Threatening Sundarbans Mangroves, and More Posted Wed, December 17, 2014
- Holiday Creature Feature: Christmas Tree Worm and Candy Cane Shrimp Posted Fri, December 19, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Filefish Use Chemical Scent to Camouflage, Bangladesh Oil Spill Threatening Endangered Dolphins, and More Posted Mon, December 15, 2014
- Act: GrubHub, Take Shark Fin Off the Menu! Posted Wed, December 17, 2014