A few days ago, I came across this blog, by Doctor Mark Hyman touting the medicinal properties of food. During his recent trip to China, the doctor was "treated" to the "delicacy" shark fin soup which he claims can help ease arthritis and possible fight cancer. Oceana responded to his blog, pointing out that shark fin soup can actually be detrimental to one's health, but I thought many of you would appreciate hearing the full story, as shark finning has been popping up in the news lately.
- ABC News: Decimating Shark Populations for some soup
- The Guardian: Teeth bared in battle over world shark stocks
- Underwater times: Chefs Divided Over Shark Fin Use Amid Reports of Species Decline
As for the nutritional argument, there is scant scientific evidence, if any, that shark fin soup has any nutritional benefits whatsoever (however there is ample evidence that finning millions of sharks is not good for the future of sharks in general...). The drying, bleaching, and lengthy cooking process the fins go through before ending up in one's soup bowl remove any nutritional benefits that would have existed in the first place.
Not too mention, these cooking methods reduce the water content of the fin, thus concentrating numerous heavy metals, including mercury. The FDA has a mercury warning for shark meat - and shark fins are high in mercury too.
I just love when I can talk about two of our campaigns at once.
In short, just say no to shark fin soup. Yao did.
- Photos: Three Days Swimming around the Hawaiian Na Pali Coast Posted Fri, October 24, 2014
- CEO Note: Introducing Lars “Lasse” Gustavsson, Oceana in Europe’s New Senior Vice President and Executive Director Posted Tue, October 21, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Great Barrier Reef Health “Never Been Worse,” Coral Could Be New Substitute for Bone Grafts, and More Posted Thu, October 23, 2014
- Sam Talbot's Fish Tacos with Tomato Salsa and Citrus Crema Posted Fri, October 24, 2014
- Bird Casualties from BP’s Gulf Spill Much Higher than Original Estimates Posted Tue, October 21, 2014