Hot off the presses are new findings that show it's actually cheaper for chlorine plants to make their product using mercury-free technology.
Oceana says so in the most extensive report to date focusing on the conversion of mercury-cell chlorine factories to more environmentally and economically sound mercury-free technology.
What's more, the findings have prompted Sen. Barack Obama (D - Ill.) to re-introduce legislation that requires chlorine and caustic soda manufacturing plants to switch to mercury-free technology by 2012.
It's good to see politicians recognizing the need for this type of legislation. Shifting not only benefits the environment and our health, it benefits to the company pocketbooks, too - and that's the bottom line.
- Photos: Oceana Launches Expedition to El Hierro Island and Atlantic Seamounts Posted Thu, September 18, 2014
- High Level of Seafood Fraud Found in Denmark Posted Sat, September 20, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Shark-Eating Dinosaur Fossils Discovered, Germany Paving Way for Cheaper Wind Energy, and More Posted Mon, September 15, 2014
- Oceana Magazine: Arctic Assets Posted Thu, September 18, 2014
- CEO Note: Sperm Whales Left Unprotected from Drift Gillnets Posted Sun, September 21, 2014