Hot off the presses are new findings that show it's actually cheaper for chlorine plants to make their product using mercury-free technology.
Oceana says so in the most extensive report to date focusing on the conversion of mercury-cell chlorine factories to more environmentally and economically sound mercury-free technology.
What's more, the findings have prompted Sen. Barack Obama (D - Ill.) to re-introduce legislation that requires chlorine and caustic soda manufacturing plants to switch to mercury-free technology by 2012.
It's good to see politicians recognizing the need for this type of legislation. Shifting not only benefits the environment and our health, it benefits to the company pocketbooks, too - and that's the bottom line.
- Loggerhead Sea Turtles Gain Protection with Swordfish Drift Gillnet Fishery Restriction Posted Fri, July 25, 2014
- Ocean News: NC Fishermen Face Tighter Restrictions, Antarctic Fur Seals Hurt by Climate Change, and More Posted Mon, July 28, 2014
- Baby Sea Turtles Found to Make Noise to Coordinate Hatching Posted Mon, July 28, 2014
- Chilean Salmon Industry Found to Use Highest Amount of Antibiotics Worldwide Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Staff Spotlight: Jackie Savitz Posted Mon, July 28, 2014