In an effort to coax shier sharks to mate, scientists in Germany have begun an experiment in which they pump music into the shark aquarium for two hours a day with hopes it will boost low libidos.
Music by Justin Timberlake, Salt 'n' Pepper and Britney Spears were all sampled. (As it turns out, the fallen pop-princess Spears had a reverse effect on sharks, much like she does among humans.)
Rumor has it scientists may consider introducing dimmer lighting and red wine into the equation if the initial plan doesn't work. OK so maybe that last bit isn't true at all, and apparently the music is working. Fifty eggs were discovered after the four-week trial.
- Ocean News: Regulators Propose Whale Sanctuary in the Canary Islands, Harbor Seals Found to Forage around Wind Farms, and More Posted Thu, July 24, 2014
- Photos: A Look at Some of the Ocean’s Most Beautiful Tentacles Posted Thu, July 24, 2014
- Ocean News: Green Sea Turtle Makes Longest Migration Ever Recorded, Small Oil Spill Found off of Italy, and More Posted Mon, July 21, 2014
- Ocean News: Blue Whale “Hot Spots” Linked with Busy Shipping Lanes, Massachusetts Bans Shark Fin Trade, and More Posted Fri, July 25, 2014
- North Atlantic Great White Sharks are Rebounding, but that’s Not the Case for All Species Posted Mon, July 21, 2014