In an effort to coax shier sharks to mate, scientists in Germany have begun an experiment in which they pump music into the shark aquarium for two hours a day with hopes it will boost low libidos.
Music by Justin Timberlake, Salt 'n' Pepper and Britney Spears were all sampled. (As it turns out, the fallen pop-princess Spears had a reverse effect on sharks, much like she does among humans.)
Rumor has it scientists may consider introducing dimmer lighting and red wine into the equation if the initial plan doesn't work. OK so maybe that last bit isn't true at all, and apparently the music is working. Fifty eggs were discovered after the four-week trial.
- Ocean Roundup: Chevron Withdraws Drilling Plans from the Arctic, Peru Issues Ban on Shrimp Fishing, and More Posted Fri, December 19, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Humpback Whales Communicate to Feed at Night, Bangladesh Oil Spill Threatening Sundarbans Mangroves, and More Posted Wed, December 17, 2014
- Holiday Creature Feature: Christmas Tree Worm and Candy Cane Shrimp Posted Fri, December 19, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Filefish Use Chemical Scent to Camouflage, Bangladesh Oil Spill Threatening Endangered Dolphins, and More Posted Mon, December 15, 2014
- Act: GrubHub, Take Shark Fin Off the Menu! Posted Wed, December 17, 2014