In an effort to coax shier sharks to mate, scientists in Germany have begun an experiment in which they pump music into the shark aquarium for two hours a day with hopes it will boost low libidos.
Music by Justin Timberlake, Salt 'n' Pepper and Britney Spears were all sampled. (As it turns out, the fallen pop-princess Spears had a reverse effect on sharks, much like she does among humans.)
Rumor has it scientists may consider introducing dimmer lighting and red wine into the equation if the initial plan doesn't work. OK so maybe that last bit isn't true at all, and apparently the music is working. Fifty eggs were discovered after the four-week trial.
- New Report Touts Economic Benefits of Seafood Traceability Posted Mon, August 18, 2014
- Ocean News: Nicaragua Dispatches Military to Protect Baby Turtles, New Zealand Bans Shark Finning, and More Posted Wed, August 20, 2014
- Dolphins and Whales Squeal like Children When They’re Happy, Study Says Posted Thu, August 21, 2014
- Photos: Leonardo DiCaprio, Other Celebs Fight for Our Oceans at Oceana’s SeaChange Party Posted Mon, August 18, 2014
- Offshore Wind Development Moves Closer to Reality in Maryland, North Carolina Thanks to BOEM Posted Wed, August 20, 2014