In an effort to coax shier sharks to mate, scientists in Germany have begun an experiment in which they pump music into the shark aquarium for two hours a day with hopes it will boost low libidos.
Music by Justin Timberlake, Salt 'n' Pepper and Britney Spears were all sampled. (As it turns out, the fallen pop-princess Spears had a reverse effect on sharks, much like she does among humans.)
Rumor has it scientists may consider introducing dimmer lighting and red wine into the equation if the initial plan doesn't work. OK so maybe that last bit isn't true at all, and apparently the music is working. Fifty eggs were discovered after the four-week trial.
- Congress Advances Legislation to Fight Pirate Fishing, Keep Illegally-Caught Seafood Out of U.S. Market Posted Fri, September 19, 2014
- Photos: Oceana Launches Expedition to El Hierro Island and Atlantic Seamounts Posted Thu, September 18, 2014
- High Level of Seafood Fraud Found in Denmark Posted Sat, September 20, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Shark-Eating Dinosaur Fossils Discovered, Germany Paving Way for Cheaper Wind Energy, and More Posted Mon, September 15, 2014
- Oceana Magazine: Arctic Assets Posted Thu, September 18, 2014