For those who think they can't make a change in the condition of our oceans by holding their breath, talk to world champion breath-hold diver Martin Stepanek and his teammate Niki Roderick.
The two have partnered with Oceana as they prepare for separate world record freediving attempts at the Sony Free competition going on this week in Egypt.
As divers, both have witnessed the effects of bottom trawling on coral reefs and its impact on marine wildlife, and they're hoping to use their notoriety in the dive world to show the landlubbers and ocean lovers alike that there's a whole other world below the surface that needs our help.
- CEO Note: Wyss Foundation Paves the Way for Oceana to Rebuild Fisheries in Peru, Canada Posted Wed, October 22, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Costa Rica Restricts Industrial Tuna Fishing, West Coast Sea Stars May Be Making a Comeback, and More Posted Fri, October 24, 2014
- Ocean News: Sea Turtle Nesting in Florida Sees Steady Increase, 2014 Could Be Hottest on Record, and More Posted Tue, October 21, 2014
- New Shark Repellent May Keep Sharks from Becoming Bycatch Posted Wed, October 22, 2014
- Photos: Three Days Swimming around the Hawaiian Na Pali Coast Posted Fri, October 24, 2014