For those who think they can't make a change in the condition of our oceans by holding their breath, talk to world champion breath-hold diver Martin Stepanek and his teammate Niki Roderick.
The two have partnered with Oceana as they prepare for separate world record freediving attempts at the Sony Free competition going on this week in Egypt.
As divers, both have witnessed the effects of bottom trawling on coral reefs and its impact on marine wildlife, and they're hoping to use their notoriety in the dive world to show the landlubbers and ocean lovers alike that there's a whole other world below the surface that needs our help.
- Marine Mammal Unusual Mortality Events Get the Spotlight on Capitol Hill Posted Fri, July 18, 2014
- Obama Administration Approves Seismic Airgun Use off the Atlantic Coast In Spite of Local Opposition and Threats to Marine Life Posted Fri, July 18, 2014
- Ocean News: Green Sea Turtle Makes Longest Migration Ever Recorded, Small Oil Spill Found off of Italy, and More Posted Mon, July 21, 2014
- North Atlantic Great White Sharks are Rebounding, but that’s Not the Case for All Species Posted Mon, July 21, 2014
- Video: Oceana Exposes Illegal Drift Gillnet Use in Italy Posted Mon, July 21, 2014