For those who think they can't make a change in the condition of our oceans by holding their breath, talk to world champion breath-hold diver Martin Stepanek and his teammate Niki Roderick.
The two have partnered with Oceana as they prepare for separate world record freediving attempts at the Sony Free competition going on this week in Egypt.
As divers, both have witnessed the effects of bottom trawling on coral reefs and its impact on marine wildlife, and they're hoping to use their notoriety in the dive world to show the landlubbers and ocean lovers alike that there's a whole other world below the surface that needs our help.
- High Level of Seafood Fraud Found in Denmark Posted Sat, September 20, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Shark-Eating Dinosaur Fossils Discovered, Germany Paving Way for Cheaper Wind Energy, and More Posted Mon, September 15, 2014
- Oceana Magazine: Arctic Assets Posted Thu, September 18, 2014
- CEO Note: Sperm Whales Left Unprotected from Drift Gillnets Posted Sun, September 21, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Leatherback Coloration May Play Important Role, UK Sees New Voluntary Seafood Labeling Scheme, and More Posted Wed, September 17, 2014