County officials in Broward, Florida anticipate becoming the first in the country to combine tiny crushed particles of glass with regular sand to help combat critical erosion along 24 miles of coast.
So if it feels just like you're walking on broken glass, well, you are.
The glass particles are so small, though, that beachgoers won't even notice, and other beaches around the globe are already testing the measure.
- Seaweed Spotlight: A Rare Glimpse into Beautiful Ocean Kelp Forests (Photos) Posted Mon, August 25, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Rare Blue Lobster Caught in Maine, Cephalopod Skin Providing Groundwork for New Technology, and More Posted Wed, August 27, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Vaquita Porpoise Needs Swift Protection, Atlantic Ocean behind Global Warming Slow Down, and More Posted Fri, August 22, 2014
- Oceana Magazine: Tuna in Trouble Posted Mon, August 25, 2014
- CITES Listing Countdown: Less Than Three Weeks until Porbeagle Sharks are Protected Posted Wed, August 27, 2014