A family out fishing near Boston spied a mola mola floating near their boat earlier this week. Never heard of a mola mola? It's a large bony sunfish that looks like a mix between a shark and a pancake. Usually found in warm waters, the mola occasionally appears north of the tropics.
The family caught some video of the big guy, which you can see here.
- Massachusetts Takes a Step Forward For Sharks Posted Fri, July 25, 2014
- Loggerhead Sea Turtles Gain Protection with Swordfish Drift Gillnet Fishery Restriction Posted Fri, July 25, 2014
- Ocean News: NC Fishermen Face Tighter Restrictions, Antarctic Fur Seals Hurt by Climate Change, and More Posted Mon, July 28, 2014
- Baby Sea Turtles Found to Make Noise to Coordinate Hatching Posted Mon, July 28, 2014
- Staff Spotlight: Jackie Savitz Posted Mon, July 28, 2014