Next week, Christie's will host the Blue Auction, where it will sell the naming rights to newly discovered marine species in Indonesia. The proceeds, which should exceed several million dollars, will go to fund conservation of the species. You can see a cool slideshow of the fish to be auctioned here.
The commercialization of taxonomy has bothered some scientists, but really, could the purchased names be any worse than the ones Ben has posted already? Or, say, the Vampyroteuthis infernalis, translated as the vampire squid from hell, or, my personal favorite, a slime-mold beetle known as Agathidium cheneyi.
- A Big Day for Little Fish Posted Fri, April 11, 2014
- Reducing Bycatch Casualties, One Whale at a Time Posted Mon, April 14, 2014
- New York, the New Windy City? Posted Mon, April 14, 2014
- Drill, Spill, Repeat: Shining a Light on the BP Gulf Disaster 4 Years Later Posted Tue, April 15, 2014
- Hands Across the Sand Posted Wed, April 16, 2014