Next week, Christie's will host the Blue Auction, where it will sell the naming rights to newly discovered marine species in Indonesia. The proceeds, which should exceed several million dollars, will go to fund conservation of the species. You can see a cool slideshow of the fish to be auctioned here.
The commercialization of taxonomy has bothered some scientists, but really, could the purchased names be any worse than the ones Ben has posted already? Or, say, the Vampyroteuthis infernalis, translated as the vampire squid from hell, or, my personal favorite, a slime-mold beetle known as Agathidium cheneyi.
- U.S. Coast Guard Captures Illegal Fishermen in Texas Posted Tue, May 14, 2013
- Victory! Delaware Becomes Seventh State in U.S. to Ban Shark Fin Trade! Posted Thu, May 16, 2013
- It's Endangered Species Day! Posted Fri, May 17, 2013
- Stocks Show Signs of Recovery, But Still Work to Do Posted Fri, May 17, 2013
- Disabled Killer Whale Survives with Help from Its Pod Posted Tue, May 21, 2013