Finally a reason for penguins to leave the pad again.
A zoo in Great Britain recently constructed the world's first zebra crossing for penguins. The scaled down black and white crossing is lined with miniature red safety signs that have an image of a couple happy-footed penguins crossing the road (penguins can't read, of course).
In no time at all the crossing, a twice daily feeding ritual, has become the social event to see and be seen at -- all the penguins don their sharpest tuxedos for the soiree.
Now if only someone could create a crossing for sharks and sea turtles and dolphins and all those marine creatures that are under attack from careless commercial fishing fleets, we might be onto something. ...
- Tackling Illegal Fishing in Italy: Behind the Scenes Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Ocean News: Whale Sharks Visiting Azore Islands More Frequently, Volunteers Help Disabled Sea Turtle Nest, and More Posted Thu, July 17, 2014
- Chilean Salmon Industry Found to Use Highest Amount of Antibiotics Worldwide Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Video: Huge School of Anchovies Swarms San Diego Shoreline Posted Thu, July 17, 2014
- Ocean News: Great Barrier Reef Will be “Pretty Ugly” by 2050, Sea Turtle Nests Down in South Carolina, and More Posted Wed, July 23, 2014