Finally a reason for penguins to leave the pad again.
A zoo in Great Britain recently constructed the world's first zebra crossing for penguins. The scaled down black and white crossing is lined with miniature red safety signs that have an image of a couple happy-footed penguins crossing the road (penguins can't read, of course).
In no time at all the crossing, a twice daily feeding ritual, has become the social event to see and be seen at -- all the penguins don their sharpest tuxedos for the soiree.
Now if only someone could create a crossing for sharks and sea turtles and dolphins and all those marine creatures that are under attack from careless commercial fishing fleets, we might be onto something. ...
- Ocean Roundup: Seals Can Pick up Pings from Acoustic Tags on Fish, Climate Change Making Crabs “Sluggish,” and More Posted Fri, November 21, 2014
- Video: Watch the Incredible Migration of Thousands of Giant Spider Crabs in Australia Posted Mon, November 24, 2014
- On World Fisheries Day, A Look at Oceana’s Work to Create Sustainable Fisheries (Photos) Posted Fri, November 21, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Fiddler Crabs Found Far North of Their Range, 500 Dead Sea Lions Discovered in Peru, and More Posted Tue, November 25, 2014
- CEO Note: Proposed Puerto Azul Project Puts Belize’s Lighthouse Reef Atoll and Great Blue Hole at Risk Posted Fri, November 21, 2014