Finally a reason for penguins to leave the pad again.
A zoo in Great Britain recently constructed the world's first zebra crossing for penguins. The scaled down black and white crossing is lined with miniature red safety signs that have an image of a couple happy-footed penguins crossing the road (penguins can't read, of course).
In no time at all the crossing, a twice daily feeding ritual, has become the social event to see and be seen at -- all the penguins don their sharpest tuxedos for the soiree.
Now if only someone could create a crossing for sharks and sea turtles and dolphins and all those marine creatures that are under attack from careless commercial fishing fleets, we might be onto something. ...
- Massachusetts Takes a Step Forward For Sharks Posted Fri, July 25, 2014
- Loggerhead Sea Turtles Gain Protection with Swordfish Drift Gillnet Fishery Restriction Posted Fri, July 25, 2014
- Ocean News: June 2014 Marked the Hottest on Record, Microplastics Worse for Crabs than Thought, and More Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Ocean News: NC Fishermen Face Tighter Restrictions, Antarctic Fur Seals Hurt by Climate Change, and More Posted Mon, July 28, 2014
- Tackling Illegal Fishing in Italy: Behind the Scenes Posted Tue, July 22, 2014