This bottlenose dolphin was snapped mid-flight by a 16-year-old boy who was standing on the back of his family's boat in Doubtful Sound, Fiordland as a pod of 20 or so frolicked in the boat's wake.
Bottlenose dolphins are found in all oceans except the colder waters of the Arctic and Antarctic. On average they measure between 6 and 13 feet in length and can weigh up to 1,430 pounds.
- Ocean Roundup: Florida Receives Federal Help for Oyster Recovery, Climate Change Linked to Iceland’s Puffin Decline, and More Posted Thu, August 28, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Methane Seeping from U.S. Atlantic Seafloor, Iceland’s Caught Scores of Endangered Fin Whales, and More Posted Mon, August 25, 2014
- Creature Feature: Barnacles Posted Tue, August 26, 2014
- Court Requests Changes to the North Pacific Fisheries Observer Program be Reconsidered Posted Thu, August 28, 2014
- Seaweed Spotlight: A Rare Glimpse into Beautiful Ocean Kelp Forests (Photos) Posted Mon, August 25, 2014