This bottlenose dolphin was snapped mid-flight by a 16-year-old boy who was standing on the back of his family's boat in Doubtful Sound, Fiordland as a pod of 20 or so frolicked in the boat's wake.
Bottlenose dolphins are found in all oceans except the colder waters of the Arctic and Antarctic. On average they measure between 6 and 13 feet in length and can weigh up to 1,430 pounds.
- Video: Leonardo DiCaprio Speaks up for the Planet at UN Climate Summit Posted Fri, September 26, 2014
- Video: Ocean Acidification Masking Sharks’ Sense of Smell Posted Tue, September 23, 2014
- Live Action Role-Play for the Baltic Sea: Finding New Ways to Address Environmental Troubles Posted Mon, September 29, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Giant Cuttlefish Decline Remains a Mystery, President Obama Creates World's Largest MPA, and More Posted Thu, September 25, 2014
- Oceana Magazine: Q&A with Justin Winters, Executive Director of Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation Posted Fri, September 26, 2014