And here I thought the spiders like the one I "discovered" the other morning in the bathroom of my basement apartment were big. ...
Australian scientists working on the floor of the Southern Ocean discovered several mysterious creatures including giant sea spiders and worms.
Scientists spent 20 days actually collecting samples from the Antarctic ocean floor, with an estimated 25 percent of those creatures thought to be new species.
Samples were shipped off to labs all over the world for identification as well as tissue and DNA samples.
The expedition had been researching climate change and its affect on corals and other hard-shelled creatures. Scientists are concerned that increasing climates will heighten the acidity of the ocean, which in turn would impact how crustaceans, corals and invertebrates grow and sustain their protective calcium carbonate shells. Learn more about climate HERE.
Update: Deep Sea News provides a glimpse into the world of giant sea spiders.
- Eleven Florida Lawmakers Urge President Obama to Reconsider Approval for Seismic Airgun Testing Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Video: Spangled Emperor Fish Dazzle the Great Barrier Reef Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Ocean News: Regulators Propose Whale Sanctuary in the Canary Islands, Harbor Seals Found to Forage around Wind Farms, and More Posted Thu, July 24, 2014
- Photos: A Look at Some of the Ocean’s Most Beautiful Tentacles Posted Thu, July 24, 2014
- Ocean News: Blue Whale “Hot Spots” Linked with Busy Shipping Lanes, Massachusetts Bans Shark Fin Trade, and More Posted Fri, July 25, 2014