On St. Valentine's Day, Ted Danson, best known for his character Sam Malone on the television series "Cheers," will describe his great passion for the world's oceans and what we must do to prevent their irreversible decline at a National Press Club Newsmakers luncheon.
Because nearly a billion people worldwide rely on fish as a primary source of protein and millions more depend on fishing for their income.
The science is in. Our oceans are threatened by overfishing, pollution and climate change. Some aquatic species are on the brink of collapse and others are already gone.
Danson will discuss the need for better fisheries management, which includes addressing unsustainable fishing quotas, destructive fishing that destroys corals and other habitat and wasteful bycatch.
Danson has been working with the American Oceans Campaign and Oceana for more than 20 years to try to educate the public about what's at stake. He serves as a board member for Oceana, the largest international organization focused solely on marine issues.
- Brunei Becomes First Asian Country to Ban Shark Finning! Posted Tue, June 18, 2013
- National Aquarium Gives a Fresh Approach to Combating Seafood Fraud Posted Wed, June 19, 2013
- Puffins Are Struggling with Warming Waters Posted Thu, June 13, 2013
- Scottish Government Welcomes New Wind Subsidies! Posted Thu, June 13, 2013
- Oceana Testifies in Support of MA Seafood Labeling Bills Posted Fri, June 14, 2013