Last weekend, some lucky folks from Oceana attended the Sperry Top-Sider NOOD Regatta. That’s “N-O-O-D,” get your mind out of the gutter people! Started in 1988, these National Offshore One-Design regattas take place over nine weekends throughout the United States.
Sperry is the official sponsor of the regattas and, this year, chose Oceana to be the official charity (thanks Sperry!). In addition to providing some cool incentives to get sailors to donate to Oceana, we’re also invited to attend the events and chat up the sailors about ocean conservation issues.
Kristen Berry of Gale Force Sailing is a long-time Oceana supporter that showed us the ropes at the event. We’re working with Kristen and Sperry to teach sailors how they can be good stewards of the environment. Starting with:
- Reducing and recycling your plastic (both on the water and off)
- Picking up trash on the water
- Using biodegradable boat soap
Stay tuned for more tips for sailing enthusiasts.
- U.S. Coast Guard Captures Illegal Fishermen in Texas Posted Tue, May 14, 2013
- Victory! Delaware Becomes Seventh State in U.S. to Ban Shark Fin Trade! Posted Thu, May 16, 2013
- It's Endangered Species Day! Posted Fri, May 17, 2013
- Stocks Show Signs of Recovery, But Still Work to Do Posted Fri, May 17, 2013
- Disabled Killer Whale Survives with Help from Its Pod Posted Tue, May 21, 2013