Delta Air Lines meant to inaugurate its first nonstop flight from Atlanta to Shanghai in the finest fashion that would honor traditions at both ends of its journey: Coca-Cola at one end, and shark fin soup at the other.
That's right: Delta served shark fin soup on an airplane. Up to 73 million sharks a year are killed for their fins, usually by crudely lopping off the fins and throwing the shark overboard to die. Oceana has worked hard to earn sharks the protection they deserve in an international campaign from Chile to Europe. Until the public gets on board, however, we still have an uphill climb.
- Ocean News: Climate Change Threatens Red Knots, Pacific Island Leaders Meet to Discuss Ocean Conservation, and More Posted Wed, July 30, 2014
- Photos: A Look at Some of the Ocean’s Most Beautiful Tentacles Posted Thu, July 24, 2014
- Ocean News: Blue Whale “Hot Spots” Linked with Busy Shipping Lanes, Massachusetts Bans Shark Fin Trade, and More Posted Fri, July 25, 2014
- Massachusetts Takes a Step Forward For Sharks Posted Fri, July 25, 2014
- Loggerhead Sea Turtles Gain Protection with Swordfish Drift Gillnet Fishery Restriction Posted Fri, July 25, 2014