Delta Air Lines meant to inaugurate its first nonstop flight from Atlanta to Shanghai in the finest fashion that would honor traditions at both ends of its journey: Coca-Cola at one end, and shark fin soup at the other.
That's right: Delta served shark fin soup on an airplane. Up to 73 million sharks a year are killed for their fins, usually by crudely lopping off the fins and throwing the shark overboard to die. Oceana has worked hard to earn sharks the protection they deserve in an international campaign from Chile to Europe. Until the public gets on board, however, we still have an uphill climb.
- Celebrate National Seafood Month with This Sustainable Recipe: Wild Salmon with Spinach Posted Thu, October 16, 2014
- Photos, Video: Oceana Wraps Up Canary Islands Expedition after Discovering Vast Biodiversity Posted Mon, October 20, 2014
- Introducing the Nudibranch: Multicolored Mollusks that Dazzle the Seafloor (Photos) Posted Wed, October 15, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Seafood Fraud Ring Uncovered in Australia, Fish Species Found to Change Skin Color, and More Posted Fri, October 17, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Oceans Seeing Largest Sea Level Rise in 6,000 Years, Red King Crab Fishery Opens in Alaska, and More Posted Tue, October 14, 2014