Delta Air Lines meant to inaugurate its first nonstop flight from Atlanta to Shanghai in the finest fashion that would honor traditions at both ends of its journey: Coca-Cola at one end, and shark fin soup at the other.
That's right: Delta served shark fin soup on an airplane. Up to 73 million sharks a year are killed for their fins, usually by crudely lopping off the fins and throwing the shark overboard to die. Oceana has worked hard to earn sharks the protection they deserve in an international campaign from Chile to Europe. Until the public gets on board, however, we still have an uphill climb.
- Video: Oceana Makes Plea for Mediterranean Swordfish, Says EU Overlooking Its Decline Posted Wed, October 15, 2014
- CEO Note: President Obama Designates Largest Marine Reserve in the World Posted Fri, October 17, 2014
- CEO Note: Introducing Lars “Lasse” Gustavsson, Oceana in Europe’s New Senior Vice President and Executive Director Posted Tue, October 21, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Federal Agencies Called Out on Ocean Acidification Inaction, Steller Sea Lions May Have a New Predator, and More Posted Thu, October 16, 2014
- Oceana Magazine, Dr. Pauly Column: How Do We Know How Many Fish There Are in The Sea? Posted Fri, October 17, 2014