A right whale that attracted attention from a New England Aquarium researcher as it thrashed around in the water wasn't injured, as it first seemed: It was giving birth.
Now we have the first-ever photographs of a right whale calving. There are only about 400 of these critically endangered creatures left. Click here for a slideshow of this rare event.
[Photo courtesy NEAq/NMFS via Boston WCBV/TV]
- Ocean Roundup: Chevron Withdraws Drilling Plans from the Arctic, Peru Issues Ban on Shrimp Fishing, and More Posted Fri, December 19, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Humpback Whales Communicate to Feed at Night, Bangladesh Oil Spill Threatening Sundarbans Mangroves, and More Posted Wed, December 17, 2014
- Holiday Creature Feature: Christmas Tree Worm and Candy Cane Shrimp Posted Fri, December 19, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Filefish Use Chemical Scent to Camouflage, Bangladesh Oil Spill Threatening Endangered Dolphins, and More Posted Mon, December 15, 2014
- Act: GrubHub, Take Shark Fin Off the Menu! Posted Wed, December 17, 2014