A right whale that attracted attention from a New England Aquarium researcher as it thrashed around in the water wasn't injured, as it first seemed: It was giving birth.
Now we have the first-ever photographs of a right whale calving. There are only about 400 of these critically endangered creatures left. Click here for a slideshow of this rare event.
[Photo courtesy NEAq/NMFS via Boston WCBV/TV]
- Creature Feature: Ocean Sunfish Posted Thu, November 20, 2014
- Oceana in Chile Submits Recommendations for Lowering Common Hake Catch Quotas Posted Mon, November 24, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Seals Can Pick up Pings from Acoustic Tags on Fish, Climate Change Making Crabs “Sluggish,” and More Posted Fri, November 21, 2014
- Video: Watch the Incredible Migration of Thousands of Giant Spider Crabs in Australia Posted Mon, November 24, 2014
- On World Fisheries Day, A Look at Oceana’s Work to Create Sustainable Fisheries (Photos) Posted Fri, November 21, 2014