It's a happy day for Peace Pec, an 835-pound manatee who was released into the wild after a stint at a manatee hospital in Tampa, Fla.
Peace Pec was found tangled in crab trap line so badly that his left fin had to be amputated. Despite his injury, he is expected to thrive. Happy trails, big guy.
Maybe he'll meet up with the one-finned seal that bit off Buster's hand in Arrested Development.
[Photo credit: Chris Urso/Tampa Tribune]
- Ocean Roundup: Florida Receives Federal Help for Oyster Recovery, Climate Change Linked to Iceland’s Puffin Decline, and More Posted Thu, August 28, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Methane Seeping from U.S. Atlantic Seafloor, Iceland’s Caught Scores of Endangered Fin Whales, and More Posted Mon, August 25, 2014
- Creature Feature: Barnacles Posted Tue, August 26, 2014
- Court Requests Changes to the North Pacific Fisheries Observer Program be Reconsidered Posted Thu, August 28, 2014
- Seaweed Spotlight: A Rare Glimpse into Beautiful Ocean Kelp Forests (Photos) Posted Mon, August 25, 2014