Get this: the AP reports that federal researchers are canceling and cutting back on voyages aimed at studying climate change and ocean ecosystems so they can save money on boat fuel.
It would be funnier if it weren't so depressing.
The story continues: "The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has scrapped at least four trips nationwide and is shortening others 'because of the increase in petroleum prices.'"
What a mess.
Oceana scientist Margot Stiles recently went on one such NOAA expedition in the Gulf of Mexico and she documented her experience for us on the blog. See for yourself how valuable they are.
[Image via the Associated Press]
- Victory! Delaware Becomes Seventh State in U.S. to Ban Shark Fin Trade! Posted Thu, May 16, 2013
- It's Endangered Species Day! Posted Fri, May 17, 2013
- Stocks Show Signs of Recovery, But Still Work to Do Posted Fri, May 17, 2013
- Disabled Killer Whale Survives with Help from Its Pod Posted Tue, May 21, 2013
- Oceana CEO Andy Sharpless Discusses His New Book, The Perfect Protein Posted Wed, May 22, 2013