The most popular story right now on current.com is about shark finning, a horrific practice that most people know nothing about, and that Oceana is campaigning to stop. Millions of sharks are indiscriminately killed every year to satiate a growing hunger for shark fin soup, a delicacy in some countries.
Finning isn't the only challenge sharks are up against. Sharks are also caught for meat and as bycatch. Click here to access an exclusive Oceana slideshow of images of shark fishing around the world, including finning.
- It's Endangered Species Day! Posted Fri, May 17, 2013
- Stocks Show Signs of Recovery, But Still Work to Do Posted Fri, May 17, 2013
- Disabled Killer Whale Survives with Help from Its Pod Posted Tue, May 21, 2013
- Oceana CEO Andy Sharpless Discusses His New Book, The Perfect Protein Posted Wed, May 22, 2013
- Victory! Delaware Becomes Seventh State in U.S. to Ban Shark Fin Trade! Posted Thu, May 16, 2013