Yesterday was a definitely a sad day for the oceans.
After seven years of ongoing negotiations at the World Trade Organization (WTO), talks collapsed yesterday in Geneva, Switzerland.
Unfortunately, governments continue to pay their fleets to overfish our oceans. The WTO fisheries subsidies negotiations are one of the most important international efforts to stop global overfishing, and they represent the first time that the WTO has agreed to directly address a key environmental issue.
Now we are left to wonder, can the WTO still save our oceans?
Photo Credit: OCEANA/Carlos Suárez
- Stocks Show Signs of Recovery, But Still Work to Do Posted Fri, May 17, 2013
- Disabled Killer Whale Survives with Help from Its Pod Posted Tue, May 21, 2013
- Oceana CEO Andy Sharpless Discusses His New Book, The Perfect Protein Posted Wed, May 22, 2013
- Happy World Turtle Day! Posted Thu, May 23, 2013
- It's Endangered Species Day! Posted Fri, May 17, 2013