Yesterday was a definitely a sad day for the oceans.
After seven years of ongoing negotiations at the World Trade Organization (WTO), talks collapsed yesterday in Geneva, Switzerland.
Unfortunately, governments continue to pay their fleets to overfish our oceans. The WTO fisheries subsidies negotiations are one of the most important international efforts to stop global overfishing, and they represent the first time that the WTO has agreed to directly address a key environmental issue.
Now we are left to wonder, can the WTO still save our oceans?
Photo Credit: OCEANA/Carlos Suárez
- Rashida Jones Talks Up Oceana and Belize on Jimmy Fallon Posted Tue, December 3, 2013
- Support Renewable Energy - Opinion in Florida's Sun Sentinel Posted Tue, December 3, 2013
- Creature Feature: Clownfish Posted Wed, December 4, 2013
- CEO Note: Conservation Needs Strong International Trade Laws Posted Thu, December 5, 2013
- Creature Feature: Atlantic Puffin Posted Fri, December 6, 2013