Yesterday was a definitely a sad day for the oceans.
After seven years of ongoing negotiations at the World Trade Organization (WTO), talks collapsed yesterday in Geneva, Switzerland.
Unfortunately, governments continue to pay their fleets to overfish our oceans. The WTO fisheries subsidies negotiations are one of the most important international efforts to stop global overfishing, and they represent the first time that the WTO has agreed to directly address a key environmental issue.
Now we are left to wonder, can the WTO still save our oceans?
Photo Credit: OCEANA/Carlos Suárez
- Reducing Bycatch Casualties, One Whale at a Time Posted Mon, April 14, 2014
- New York, the New Windy City? Posted Mon, April 14, 2014
- Drill, Spill, Repeat: Shining a Light on the BP Gulf Disaster 4 Years Later Posted Tue, April 15, 2014
- Hands Across the Sand Posted Wed, April 16, 2014
- A Big Day for Little Fish Posted Fri, April 11, 2014