Yesterday was a definitely a sad day for the oceans.
After seven years of ongoing negotiations at the World Trade Organization (WTO), talks collapsed yesterday in Geneva, Switzerland.
Unfortunately, governments continue to pay their fleets to overfish our oceans. The WTO fisheries subsidies negotiations are one of the most important international efforts to stop global overfishing, and they represent the first time that the WTO has agreed to directly address a key environmental issue.
Now we are left to wonder, can the WTO still save our oceans?
Photo Credit: OCEANA/Carlos Suárez
- Ignoring Climate Change Puts Our Way of Life in Jeopardy Posted Wed, April 9, 2014
- Coast Guard Report Raises More Questions for Shell and Government Posted Wed, April 9, 2014
- A Big Day for Little Fish Posted Fri, April 11, 2014
- Reducing Bycatch Casualties, One Whale at a Time Posted Mon, April 14, 2014
- New York, the New Windy City? Posted Mon, April 14, 2014