Good news for Pacific marine life, particularly sea turtles: the L.A. Times reports that the city council has voted to ban plastic carryout bags in the city's stores by 2010, unless the state imposes a 25-cent fee on those who request them.
Plastic bags that end up in the sea are often mistaken for food by sea turtles. Maybe more cities will follow suit, eliminating those toxic jellyfish imposters ...
[Image via www.latimes.com]
- Meet the Eerie Stargazer, Wolf-Fish, and Polka Dot Batfish: The Halloween Creature Feature Edition Posted Wed, October 29, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Nations Fail to Reach Agreement on Antarctic Marine Reserve, Norway Planning Large Whale Meat Shipment, and More Posted Fri, October 31, 2014
- Photos: These Sea Creatures Celebrate Halloween All Year with Their Spooky Names Posted Mon, October 27, 2014
- Karmenu Vella Becomes New European Commissioner for Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Posted Wed, October 29, 2014
- Happy Halloween! Meet the Ocean Animals in Costume All Year (Photos) Posted Fri, October 31, 2014