Good news for Pacific marine life, particularly sea turtles: the L.A. Times reports that the city council has voted to ban plastic carryout bags in the city's stores by 2010, unless the state imposes a 25-cent fee on those who request them.
Plastic bags that end up in the sea are often mistaken for food by sea turtles. Maybe more cities will follow suit, eliminating those toxic jellyfish imposters ...
[Image via www.latimes.com]
- Photos: Oceana Launches Expedition to El Hierro Island and Atlantic Seamounts Posted Thu, September 18, 2014
- High Level of Seafood Fraud Found in Denmark Posted Sat, September 20, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Shark-Eating Dinosaur Fossils Discovered, Germany Paving Way for Cheaper Wind Energy, and More Posted Mon, September 15, 2014
- Oceana Magazine: Arctic Assets Posted Thu, September 18, 2014
- CEO Note: Sperm Whales Left Unprotected from Drift Gillnets Posted Sun, September 21, 2014