Fact: All six sea turtle species in U.S. waters are threatened with, or in danger of, extinction. Fact: Bottom trawl fisheries are the single greatest threat to loggerhead sea turtles. This is where we come in...
Oceana released a new report today, which finds sea turtles ill-equipped to withstand the threats posed by destructive fishing gear used in trawl fisheries. Trouble for Turtles: Trawl Fishing in the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico shows that an estimated 770 sea turtles are caught annually in Mid-Atlantic trawl fisheries alone.
A copy of Trouble for Turtles along with a petition signed by more than 7,000 concerned citizens was sent to President Bush this week asking for immediate action to better protect sea turtles.
To learn more about Oceana's campaign to save sea turtles, please visit www.oceana.org/seaturtles.
[Image by Juan Cuetos/Oceana]
- Tackling Illegal Fishing in Italy: Behind the Scenes Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Ocean News: Whale Sharks Visiting Azore Islands More Frequently, Volunteers Help Disabled Sea Turtle Nest, and More Posted Thu, July 17, 2014
- Chilean Salmon Industry Found to Use Highest Amount of Antibiotics Worldwide Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Video: Huge School of Anchovies Swarms San Diego Shoreline Posted Thu, July 17, 2014
- Ocean News: Great Barrier Reef Will be “Pretty Ugly” by 2050, Sea Turtle Nests Down in South Carolina, and More Posted Wed, July 23, 2014