Fact: All six sea turtle species in U.S. waters are threatened with, or in danger of, extinction. Fact: Bottom trawl fisheries are the single greatest threat to loggerhead sea turtles. This is where we come in...
Oceana released a new report today, which finds sea turtles ill-equipped to withstand the threats posed by destructive fishing gear used in trawl fisheries. Trouble for Turtles: Trawl Fishing in the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico shows that an estimated 770 sea turtles are caught annually in Mid-Atlantic trawl fisheries alone.
A copy of Trouble for Turtles along with a petition signed by more than 7,000 concerned citizens was sent to President Bush this week asking for immediate action to better protect sea turtles.
To learn more about Oceana's campaign to save sea turtles, please visit www.oceana.org/seaturtles.
[Image by Juan Cuetos/Oceana]
- What Do Historic CO2 Levels Mean for the Oceans? Posted Tue, May 14, 2013
- U.S. Coast Guard Captures Illegal Fishermen in Texas Posted Tue, May 14, 2013
- Victory! Delaware Becomes Seventh State in U.S. to Ban Shark Fin Trade! Posted Thu, May 16, 2013
- It's Endangered Species Day! Posted Fri, May 17, 2013
- Stocks Show Signs of Recovery, But Still Work to Do Posted Fri, May 17, 2013