I receive word-of-the-day e-mails, but I've got one today that didn't arrive in my inbox: octidextrous. As in, are you right-tentacled, left-tentacled, or octidextrous?
Scientists in the UK are giving aquarium octopuses Rubik's Cubes to see if they use a preferred tentacle, which could help in reducing the creatures' stress if the scientists know which side they prefer to be fed on.
But the question remains: Can the octopus actually solve the Rubik's Cube? Now that would be a sight to see...
[Image via telegraph.co.uk]
- Meet a Tiny Crab Species That’s Not into Long-Term Relationships Posted Sat, September 27, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Blue Crabs Keeping Invasive Green Crabs in Line, Sargasso Sea Less Biodiverse than in Previous Years, and More Posted Wed, September 24, 2014
- Will EU Member States Live Up To Their Common Fisheries Policy Commitments? Posted Thu, September 25, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Sand Tiger Shark Embryos Found to Eat Each Other, Wind Turbines Could Weaken Hurricane Intensity, and More Posted Mon, September 29, 2014
- In Honor of Sea Otter Awareness Week, Ten Fun Facts about Sea Otters Posted Wed, September 24, 2014