I receive word-of-the-day e-mails, but I've got one today that didn't arrive in my inbox: octidextrous. As in, are you right-tentacled, left-tentacled, or octidextrous?
Scientists in the UK are giving aquarium octopuses Rubik's Cubes to see if they use a preferred tentacle, which could help in reducing the creatures' stress if the scientists know which side they prefer to be fed on.
But the question remains: Can the octopus actually solve the Rubik's Cube? Now that would be a sight to see...
[Image via telegraph.co.uk]
- Photos: Oceana’s Dusky the Shark Visits Washington, D.C. to Raise Awareness for Dusky Sharks Posted Mon, November 17, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Atlantic Bluefin Tuna Catch Quotas Raised, Kemp’s Ridley Turtles Stranding in High Numbers, and More Posted Wed, November 19, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Seals Can Pick up Pings from Acoustic Tags on Fish, Climate Change Making Crabs “Sluggish,” and More Posted Fri, November 21, 2014
- Oceana’s New Report Highlights Uses, Benefits of Global Fishing Watch Technology Posted Mon, November 17, 2014
- Video: Humpback Whales Cause Quite the Surprise As They Hunt for Herring Posted Wed, November 19, 2014