I receive word-of-the-day e-mails, but I've got one today that didn't arrive in my inbox: octidextrous. As in, are you right-tentacled, left-tentacled, or octidextrous?
Scientists in the UK are giving aquarium octopuses Rubik's Cubes to see if they use a preferred tentacle, which could help in reducing the creatures' stress if the scientists know which side they prefer to be fed on.
But the question remains: Can the octopus actually solve the Rubik's Cube? Now that would be a sight to see...
[Image via telegraph.co.uk]
- Happy Halloween! Meet the Ocean Animals in Costume All Year (Photos) Posted Fri, October 31, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Penguin Chick Survivorship Influenced by Weather, Norway Cuts Seal Hunting Subsidies, and More Posted Tue, October 28, 2014
- Graphics: New Oceana Study Finds Shrimp Misrepresented in the U.S. Posted Thu, October 30, 2014
- Uncovering Shrimp Seafood Fraud: Diaries from the Field, Part One Posted Fri, October 31, 2014
- Celebrate National Seafood Month with This Sustainable Recipe: Diver Scallops Posted Wed, October 29, 2014