It appears that jellyfish have invaded not just the oceans but the media, too.
Last week I told you about our marine scientist Margot Stiles' cameo on the CBS Early Show to talk about the jellyfish invasion. They aired a longer version of the story Sunday evening -- check it out. They included quite a bit of footage from our European office of jellyfish and our roving catamaran, the Ranger.
Plus, Sunday morning, the New York Times ran a story about the same thing.
As Margot says, the jellyfish swarms are a symptom of the greater oceanic illnesses. Maybe their sting will serve as a wake-up call to those beachgoers -- who may or may not be already conservation-minded -- to do something about the overfishing, global warming, and pollution that's causing the blobs to bloom around the globe.
[Image: Thierry Lannoy/Oceana]
- Puffins Are Struggling with Warming Waters Posted Thu, June 13, 2013
- Scottish Government Welcomes New Wind Subsidies! Posted Thu, June 13, 2013
- Oceana Testifies in Support of MA Seafood Labeling Bills Posted Fri, June 14, 2013
- Meet the Faces of the Ocean Hero Junior Awards! Posted Fri, June 14, 2013
- Destructive Fishing Gear Kills 400K+ Seabirds per Year Posted Mon, June 17, 2013