Amber Valletta, model, actress, and official spokesperson for Oceana's Stop Seafood Contamination Campaign, is featured in the September issue of Shape magazine. After a close friend was told by her doctor to avoid getting pregnant because of the dangerous amount of mercury in her blood, Amber was inspired to get involved with us.
And check out her recipe for shrimp with pasta -- using U.S. farmed shrimp, not the imported stuff, which is often caught using bottom trawls and can ruin life-supporting ecosystems such as mangroves. (Find out more about shrimp and other seafood on the Guide to Ocean Friendly Seafood)
And as if that wasn't enough Oceana glamour for one month, Amber also modeled for a spread in the September issue of Vogue, which includes a chic photo with her husband and son at a seafood counter.
[Image: Shape Magazine]
- Chile Cancels September Crustacean Trawl to Protect Common Hake Posted Tue, August 26, 2014
- A Summer Reading List for Ocean Lovers: Ten Books to Read before Summer Ends Posted Thu, August 21, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Methane Seeping from U.S. Atlantic Seafloor, Iceland’s Caught Scores of Endangered Fin Whales, and More Posted Mon, August 25, 2014
- Ocean News: Nicaragua Dispatches Military to Protect Baby Turtles, New Zealand Bans Shark Finning, and More Posted Wed, August 20, 2014
- Creature Feature: Barnacles Posted Tue, August 26, 2014