Earlier this month, the Norwegian coastguard captured dramatic footage of a ship called the Prolific discarding up to 80% of its catch of endangered fish in British waters by exploiting a loophole in EU law, which sets quotas for fish landed at ports, not what is actually caught at sea.
As the Guardian environment blogger observed, "The wasteful consequences of Europe's fisheries policies, though well-known, are rather abstract to most people - it all happens a long way out at sea. And that's the power of the video."
Couldn't have said it better myself -- this video is what our dirty fishing campaign is all about.
- North Atlantic Great White Sharks are Rebounding, but that’s Not the Case for All Species Posted Mon, July 21, 2014
- Massachusetts Takes a Step Forward For Sharks Posted Fri, July 25, 2014
- Video: Oceana Exposes Illegal Drift Gillnet Use in Italy Posted Mon, July 21, 2014
- Ocean News: June 2014 Marked the Hottest on Record, Microplastics Worse for Crabs than Thought, and More Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Tackling Illegal Fishing in Italy: Behind the Scenes Posted Tue, July 22, 2014