Warning: this post is not for the squeamish.
The Telegraph reports that a British artist has decided to pierce the skin of her back with shark hooks and hang herself from a shop ceiling to protest the practice of shark finning. (In case you're curious, the story link includes a cringe-worthy photo...)
The artist is quoted as saying: "I am doing this because the demand for shark fin soup and other shark products is wiping out the shark population."
Well, it's certainly an attention-getting stunt, that's for sure. But do you think this kind of stunt is a worthwhile way to get the word out about sharks?
- Dusky Shark Saved from Fishing Gear: The Heartwarming Story of One Incredible Rescue (Photos) Posted Fri, November 14, 2014
- Oceana’s New Report Highlights Uses, Benefits of Global Fishing Watch Technology Posted Mon, November 17, 2014
- Video: Humpback Whales Cause Quite the Surprise As They Hunt for Herring Posted Wed, November 19, 2014
- Video: Learn How Global Fishing Watch Can be Used to Tackle Illegal Fishing Posted Fri, November 14, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Humpback Whale Scars Can Reveal Migration Patterns, Sea Star Die-Offs Linked to Virus, and More Posted Tue, November 18, 2014