After years of successful conservation efforts, it appears puffins might be in trouble... at least according to this year's breeding numbers. A survey showed a 30 percent reduction in the number of nesting pairs on the Isle of May off the coast of Scotland.
The possible causes? The usual suspects: intensive fishing, agriculture, and global warming.
While the puffin is not in imminent danger of going extinct, some scientists say what's more worrisome is the recent decline in puffins as a larger symptom of greater ocean ills.
Puffins are adorable, no two ways about it -- they look almost fake in their cuteness. So what was British celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay thinking when he hunted and feasted on a raw puffin heart on a recent episode of his TV show, "The F Word"? Bad form, Mr. Ramsay.
[Image: Terry Cavner via www.bbc.co.uk]
- Rashida Jones Talks Up Oceana and Belize on Jimmy Fallon Posted Tue, December 3, 2013
- Support Renewable Energy - Opinion in Florida's Sun Sentinel Posted Tue, December 3, 2013
- Creature Feature: Clownfish Posted Wed, December 4, 2013
- CEO Note: Conservation Needs Strong International Trade Laws Posted Thu, December 5, 2013
- Creature Feature: Atlantic Puffin Posted Fri, December 6, 2013