Barely a week after he announced his nomination for Commerce Secretary, Senator Judd Gregg has unexpectedly removed himself from consideration, citing irreconcilable differences with the Obama administration's economic policies.
Earlier this week, Gregg abstained from voting on the stimulus bill - perhaps a sign of his second thoughts.
The Washington Post gathered reactions from political figures including Karl Rove, who suggests that the Republican Gregg realized that he would only be "window dressing" in the Democratic administration; former Reagan staffer Ed Rogers says that Gregg was never a natural fit for the post, anyway.
Regardless of the reasons why, this means that the commerce position - which is critical to U.S. ocean policy - is still open.
Any takers? Anyone?
- Disabled Killer Whale Survives with Help from Its Pod Posted Tue, May 21, 2013
- Oceana CEO Andy Sharpless Discusses His New Book, The Perfect Protein Posted Wed, May 22, 2013
- Happy World Turtle Day! Posted Thu, May 23, 2013
- It's Endangered Species Day! Posted Fri, May 17, 2013
- Stocks Show Signs of Recovery, But Still Work to Do Posted Fri, May 17, 2013