Barely a week after he announced his nomination for Commerce Secretary, Senator Judd Gregg has unexpectedly removed himself from consideration, citing irreconcilable differences with the Obama administration's economic policies.
Earlier this week, Gregg abstained from voting on the stimulus bill - perhaps a sign of his second thoughts.
The Washington Post gathered reactions from political figures including Karl Rove, who suggests that the Republican Gregg realized that he would only be "window dressing" in the Democratic administration; former Reagan staffer Ed Rogers says that Gregg was never a natural fit for the post, anyway.
Regardless of the reasons why, this means that the commerce position - which is critical to U.S. ocean policy - is still open.
Any takers? Anyone?
- Loggerhead Sea Turtles Gain Protection with Swordfish Drift Gillnet Fishery Restriction Posted Fri, July 25, 2014
- Ocean News: NC Fishermen Face Tighter Restrictions, Antarctic Fur Seals Hurt by Climate Change, and More Posted Mon, July 28, 2014
- Baby Sea Turtles Found to Make Noise to Coordinate Hatching Posted Mon, July 28, 2014
- Staff Spotlight: Jackie Savitz Posted Mon, July 28, 2014
- Ocean News: Cape Cod Embraces Shark Spottings, Rare White Southern Right Whale Calf Spotted off Australia, and More Posted Tue, July 29, 2014