It was a swell day on Capitol Hill today, as a wave of ocean bills rolled into Congress. What a great celebration of Earth Day!
In the Senate:
Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) reintroduced the National Oceans Protection Act, which is comprehensive legislation to preserve oceans and Great Lakes. Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA) introduced the Marine Mammal Rescue Assistance Amendments Act of 2009, which increases funding for the Prescott grant program to assist in saving stranded marine mammals. Last, but certainly not least, Senator John Kerry (D-MA) introduced the Shark Conservation Act of 2009 which would end shark finning in all U.S. waters.
In the House:
Congresswoman and true ocean champion Madeleine Bordallo (D-GU) celebrated as her bill H.R. 860, the Coral Reef Conservation Act Reauthorization and Enhancement Amendments of 2009, passed out of the House Natural Resources Committee and now heads to the House floor!
If only every day were Earth Day….Congress would be swimming in ocean bills!
- Ocean Roundup: Chevron Withdraws Drilling Plans from the Arctic, Peru Issues Ban on Shrimp Fishing, and More Posted Fri, December 19, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Humpback Whales Communicate to Feed at Night, Bangladesh Oil Spill Threatening Sundarbans Mangroves, and More Posted Wed, December 17, 2014
- Holiday Creature Feature: Christmas Tree Worm and Candy Cane Shrimp Posted Fri, December 19, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Filefish Use Chemical Scent to Camouflage, Bangladesh Oil Spill Threatening Endangered Dolphins, and More Posted Mon, December 15, 2014
- Act: GrubHub, Take Shark Fin Off the Menu! Posted Wed, December 17, 2014