It was a swell day on Capitol Hill today, as a wave of ocean bills rolled into Congress. What a great celebration of Earth Day!
In the Senate:
Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) reintroduced the National Oceans Protection Act, which is comprehensive legislation to preserve oceans and Great Lakes. Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA) introduced the Marine Mammal Rescue Assistance Amendments Act of 2009, which increases funding for the Prescott grant program to assist in saving stranded marine mammals. Last, but certainly not least, Senator John Kerry (D-MA) introduced the Shark Conservation Act of 2009 which would end shark finning in all U.S. waters.
In the House:
Congresswoman and true ocean champion Madeleine Bordallo (D-GU) celebrated as her bill H.R. 860, the Coral Reef Conservation Act Reauthorization and Enhancement Amendments of 2009, passed out of the House Natural Resources Committee and now heads to the House floor!
If only every day were Earth Day….Congress would be swimming in ocean bills!
- Oceana Magazine: Arctic Assets Posted Thu, September 18, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Leatherback Coloration May Play Important Role, UK Sees New Voluntary Seafood Labeling Scheme, and More Posted Wed, September 17, 2014
- Photos: On International Coastal Cleanup Day, Five Ways to Help the Oceans Posted Fri, September 19, 2014
- Oceana Provides Common Hake Recovery Plan to Chilean Government Posted Wed, September 17, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Gulf of Mexico Sharks are Shrinking, Caribbean Reefs Capable of Being Saved, and More Posted Fri, September 19, 2014