It was a swell day on Capitol Hill today, as a wave of ocean bills rolled into Congress. What a great celebration of Earth Day!
In the Senate:
Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) reintroduced the National Oceans Protection Act, which is comprehensive legislation to preserve oceans and Great Lakes. Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA) introduced the Marine Mammal Rescue Assistance Amendments Act of 2009, which increases funding for the Prescott grant program to assist in saving stranded marine mammals. Last, but certainly not least, Senator John Kerry (D-MA) introduced the Shark Conservation Act of 2009 which would end shark finning in all U.S. waters.
In the House:
Congresswoman and true ocean champion Madeleine Bordallo (D-GU) celebrated as her bill H.R. 860, the Coral Reef Conservation Act Reauthorization and Enhancement Amendments of 2009, passed out of the House Natural Resources Committee and now heads to the House floor!
If only every day were Earth Day….Congress would be swimming in ocean bills!
- Ocean News: June 2014 Marked the Hottest on Record, Microplastics Worse for Crabs than Thought, and More Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Ocean News: NC Fishermen Face Tighter Restrictions, Antarctic Fur Seals Hurt by Climate Change, and More Posted Mon, July 28, 2014
- Tackling Illegal Fishing in Italy: Behind the Scenes Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Baby Sea Turtles Found to Make Noise to Coordinate Hatching Posted Mon, July 28, 2014
- Chilean Salmon Industry Found to Use Highest Amount of Antibiotics Worldwide Posted Tue, July 22, 2014