It was a swell day on Capitol Hill today, as a wave of ocean bills rolled into Congress. What a great celebration of Earth Day!
In the Senate:
Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) reintroduced the National Oceans Protection Act, which is comprehensive legislation to preserve oceans and Great Lakes. Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA) introduced the Marine Mammal Rescue Assistance Amendments Act of 2009, which increases funding for the Prescott grant program to assist in saving stranded marine mammals. Last, but certainly not least, Senator John Kerry (D-MA) introduced the Shark Conservation Act of 2009 which would end shark finning in all U.S. waters.
In the House:
Congresswoman and true ocean champion Madeleine Bordallo (D-GU) celebrated as her bill H.R. 860, the Coral Reef Conservation Act Reauthorization and Enhancement Amendments of 2009, passed out of the House Natural Resources Committee and now heads to the House floor!
If only every day were Earth Day….Congress would be swimming in ocean bills!
- Eleven Florida Lawmakers Urge President Obama to Reconsider Approval for Seismic Airgun Testing Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Ocean News: U.S. to Auction Off New Jersey Area for Offshore Wind, Baby Sea Turtles Found to Make Noises, and More Posted Fri, July 18, 2014
- Video: Spangled Emperor Fish Dazzle the Great Barrier Reef Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Marine Mammal Unusual Mortality Events Get the Spotlight on Capitol Hill Posted Fri, July 18, 2014
- Ocean News: Regulators Propose Whale Sanctuary in the Canary Islands, Harbor Seals Found to Forage around Wind Farms, and More Posted Thu, July 24, 2014