Today the House Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and Consumer Protection will
mark up H.R. 2190, the Mercury Pollution Reduction Act, which is backed
by Oceana and was originally authored by then-Senator Obama. href="http://www.oceana.org/fileadmin/oceana/uploads/mercury/Legislation/HR_2190.pdf"target="_blank">The bill, which was introduced by Jan Schakowsky from Illinois, would make the outdated "Foul Four" chlorine plants update their equipment to modern technology that doesn't utilize or release mercury. This legislation didn't move before but in the current Congress, it has a good chance of passing both the House and Senate and being signed by now-President Obama.
Once mercury pollution is released from chlorine plants and other industrial sources, it ends up in our rivers, streams and oceans, contaminating seafood and endangering the
health of humans and wildlife.
Please contact your member of Congress about this important legislation, especially if he or she is a member of the subcommittee. Email your Representative, or if he or she is on the subcommmittee, please call and tell the office "I support HR 2190, the Mercury Pollution Reduction Act".
|Anthony Weiner (D-NY)||202-225-6616|
|Bobby L. Rush
A. Gonzalez (D-TX)
Pallone, Jr. (D-NJ)
K. Butterfield, Jr. (D-NC)
P. Radanovich (R-CA)
D. Matheson (D-UT)
P. Sarbanes (D-MD)
R. Pitts (R-PA)
Anne Castor (D-FL)
Bono Mack (R-CA)
T. Space (D-OH)
[Beth Kemler is the Seafood Campaign Organizer.]
- Photos: Oceana Launches Expedition to El Hierro Island and Atlantic Seamounts Posted Thu, September 18, 2014
- High Level of Seafood Fraud Found in Denmark Posted Sat, September 20, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Shark-Eating Dinosaur Fossils Discovered, Germany Paving Way for Cheaper Wind Energy, and More Posted Mon, September 15, 2014
- Oceana Magazine: Arctic Assets Posted Thu, September 18, 2014
- CEO Note: Sperm Whales Left Unprotected from Drift Gillnets Posted Sun, September 21, 2014