Today the House Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and Consumer Protection will
mark up H.R. 2190, the Mercury Pollution Reduction Act, which is backed
by Oceana and was originally authored by then-Senator Obama. href="http://www.oceana.org/fileadmin/oceana/uploads/mercury/Legislation/HR_2190.pdf"target="_blank">The bill, which was introduced by Jan Schakowsky from Illinois, would make the outdated "Foul Four" chlorine plants update their equipment to modern technology that doesn't utilize or release mercury. This legislation didn't move before but in the current Congress, it has a good chance of passing both the House and Senate and being signed by now-President Obama.
Once mercury pollution is released from chlorine plants and other industrial sources, it ends up in our rivers, streams and oceans, contaminating seafood and endangering the
health of humans and wildlife.
Please contact your member of Congress about this important legislation, especially if he or she is a member of the subcommittee. Email your Representative, or if he or she is on the subcommmittee, please call and tell the office "I support HR 2190, the Mercury Pollution Reduction Act".
|Anthony Weiner (D-NY)||202-225-6616|
|Bobby L. Rush
A. Gonzalez (D-TX)
Pallone, Jr. (D-NJ)
K. Butterfield, Jr. (D-NC)
P. Radanovich (R-CA)
D. Matheson (D-UT)
P. Sarbanes (D-MD)
R. Pitts (R-PA)
Anne Castor (D-FL)
Bono Mack (R-CA)
T. Space (D-OH)
[Beth Kemler is the Seafood Campaign Organizer.]
- Oceana’s New Report Highlights Uses, Benefits of Global Fishing Watch Technology Posted Mon, November 17, 2014
- Video: Humpback Whales Cause Quite the Surprise As They Hunt for Herring Posted Wed, November 19, 2014
- On World Fisheries Day, A Look at Oceana’s Work to Create Sustainable Fisheries (Photos) Posted Fri, November 21, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Humpback Whale Scars Can Reveal Migration Patterns, Sea Star Die-Offs Linked to Virus, and More Posted Tue, November 18, 2014
- Extroverted Sharks and Stressed Penguins: Uncovering Personality in Ocean Animals Posted Wed, November 19, 2014