Oceans have always been, and still are, the solution to many of Earth’s problems, argues Sam Waterston, an esteemed actor currently in Law & Order and also on Oceana’s board of directors, in an op-ed piece in Friday’s The Miami Herald. The oceans have been a source of food and wealth, a barrier to unwanted threats, and a sink for our waste and carbon dioxide.
But the seas are also giving us a clear warning sign that something's seriously wrong: ocean acidification.
Fortunately, Waterston argues, “the oceans are ready to be a solution.” From offshore wind power to tidal power, the oceans offer, once again, a stable answer to our problems.
"Carbon dioxide in the sea is the front line of climate change," he writes. "Reverse the trend toward ocean acidification, and we will have made a giant stride in addressing the impacts of climate change. The sea is warning us to change course and calling us to seize enormous opportunities. Now."
- Oceana Urges Stakeholders to Rebuild Chile's Fisheries at International Seminar Posted Tue, July 15, 2014
- North Atlantic Great White Sharks are Rebounding, but that’s Not the Case for All Species Posted Mon, July 21, 2014
- Ocean News: New Maps Reveal Extent of Ocean Plastic, Florida Keys Launches Turtle Cam, and More Posted Wed, July 16, 2014
- Video: Oceana Exposes Illegal Drift Gillnet Use in Italy Posted Mon, July 21, 2014
- Video: Migratory 'Superhighway' Possibly Discovered Between Costa Rica and the Galapagos Posted Wed, July 16, 2014