The carapace, or shell, of the hawksbill sea turtle likely looks very familiar to you. Often considered the most beautiful sea turtle shell, it is also the most common source of tortoiseshell products. Even though they are listed as critically endangered, hawksbill products are still sold as souvenirs in some countries.
Learn more about this marine reptile and other sea creatures at the Creature Corner. I hope you learned a bit more this week about the animals we share the oceans with this week!
- Karmenu Vella Becomes New European Commissioner for Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Posted Wed, October 29, 2014
- Photos: Three Days Swimming around the Hawaiian Na Pali Coast Posted Fri, October 24, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Penguin Chick Survivorship Influenced by Weather, Norway Cuts Seal Hunting Subsidies, and More Posted Tue, October 28, 2014
- Graphics: New Oceana Study Finds Shrimp Misrepresented in the U.S. Posted Thu, October 30, 2014
- Sam Talbot's Fish Tacos with Tomato Salsa and Citrus Crema Posted Fri, October 24, 2014