The carapace, or shell, of the hawksbill sea turtle likely looks very familiar to you. Often considered the most beautiful sea turtle shell, it is also the most common source of tortoiseshell products. Even though they are listed as critically endangered, hawksbill products are still sold as souvenirs in some countries.
Learn more about this marine reptile and other sea creatures at the Creature Corner. I hope you learned a bit more this week about the animals we share the oceans with this week!
- Creature Feature: Leatherback Sea Turtle Posted Mon, September 29, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Oceans Get a “D’ for Ocean Health, Beluga Whale Population Faces “Catastrophe,” and More Posted Wed, October 1, 2014
- Video: Leonardo DiCaprio Speaks up for the Planet at UN Climate Summit Posted Fri, September 26, 2014
- Live Action Role-Play for the Baltic Sea: Finding New Ways to Address Environmental Troubles Posted Mon, September 29, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Giant Cuttlefish Decline Remains a Mystery, President Obama Creates World's Largest MPA, and More Posted Thu, September 25, 2014