The carapace, or shell, of the hawksbill sea turtle likely looks very familiar to you. Often considered the most beautiful sea turtle shell, it is also the most common source of tortoiseshell products. Even though they are listed as critically endangered, hawksbill products are still sold as souvenirs in some countries.
Learn more about this marine reptile and other sea creatures at the Creature Corner. I hope you learned a bit more this week about the animals we share the oceans with this week!
- Chilean Salmon Industry Found to Use Highest Amount of Antibiotics Worldwide Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Video: Huge School of Anchovies Swarms San Diego Shoreline Posted Thu, July 17, 2014
- Ocean News: Great Barrier Reef Will be “Pretty Ugly” by 2050, Sea Turtle Nests Down in South Carolina, and More Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- CEO Note: Another Chlorine Plant Goes Mercury-Free Posted Thu, July 17, 2014
- Eleven Florida Lawmakers Urge President Obama to Reconsider Approval for Seismic Airgun Testing Posted Wed, July 23, 2014