The carapace, or shell, of the hawksbill sea turtle likely looks very familiar to you. Often considered the most beautiful sea turtle shell, it is also the most common source of tortoiseshell products. Even though they are listed as critically endangered, hawksbill products are still sold as souvenirs in some countries.
Learn more about this marine reptile and other sea creatures at the Creature Corner. I hope you learned a bit more this week about the animals we share the oceans with this week!
- Dusky’s Big Adventure, Day 5: Dusky Asks for Help to Complete His Bucket List Posted Thu, August 14, 2014
- Photos: Leonardo DiCaprio, Other Celebs Fight for Our Oceans at Oceana’s SeaChange Party Posted Mon, August 18, 2014
- Photos: Meet the Biggest Shark Species Swimming in the Oceans Posted Wed, August 13, 2014
- Poll Update: Great White Sharks Win as the Fan Favorite (Photos) Posted Fri, August 15, 2014
- Ocean News: Barbuda Becomes Ocean Conservation Leader in the Caribbean, July Ocean Temperatures Hit Record Highs, and More Posted Tue, August 19, 2014