If you are lucky enough to be in southern California soon, make sure you stop by the Monterey Bay Aquarium to check out their new exhibit, The Secret Life of Seahorses. The exhibit has several fun animals on display but what I’m most excited about (especially since I’m stuck on the east coast) is the Aquarium’s marketing campaign.
Go ahead and friend Herbie Hippocampus on Facebook and see if you share some of his interests and hobbies. While I too enjoying eating, marine protected areas and hanging around, I’m not quite ready for pregnancy. But as a male seahorse, Herbie is all about the babies – his main interest is courtship and all he’s really looking for is a female to give him a few hundred kids.
Check out the exhibit’s main site for personals of some of the other seahorses and seadragons. Though they all look different, they have one trait in common – those males want some kiddos in their baby bjorns.
- Ocean News: U.S. to Auction Off New Jersey Area for Offshore Wind, Baby Sea Turtles Found to Make Noises, and More Posted Fri, July 18, 2014
- Marine Mammal Unusual Mortality Events Get the Spotlight on Capitol Hill Posted Fri, July 18, 2014
- Obama Administration Approves Seismic Airgun Use off the Atlantic Coast In Spite of Local Opposition and Threats to Marine Life Posted Fri, July 18, 2014
- Ocean News: Green Sea Turtle Makes Longest Migration Ever Recorded, Small Oil Spill Found off of Italy, and More Posted Mon, July 21, 2014
- North Atlantic Great White Sharks are Rebounding, but that’s Not the Case for All Species Posted Mon, July 21, 2014