If you are lucky enough to be in southern California soon, make sure you stop by the Monterey Bay Aquarium to check out their new exhibit, The Secret Life of Seahorses. The exhibit has several fun animals on display but what I’m most excited about (especially since I’m stuck on the east coast) is the Aquarium’s marketing campaign.
Go ahead and friend Herbie Hippocampus on Facebook and see if you share some of his interests and hobbies. While I too enjoying eating, marine protected areas and hanging around, I’m not quite ready for pregnancy. But as a male seahorse, Herbie is all about the babies – his main interest is courtship and all he’s really looking for is a female to give him a few hundred kids.
Check out the exhibit’s main site for personals of some of the other seahorses and seadragons. Though they all look different, they have one trait in common – those males want some kiddos in their baby bjorns.
- Photos: Oceana’s Dusky the Shark Visits Washington, D.C. to Raise Awareness for Dusky Sharks Posted Mon, November 17, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Atlantic Bluefin Tuna Catch Quotas Raised, Kemp’s Ridley Turtles Stranding in High Numbers, and More Posted Wed, November 19, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Seals Can Pick up Pings from Acoustic Tags on Fish, Climate Change Making Crabs “Sluggish,” and More Posted Fri, November 21, 2014
- Oceana’s New Report Highlights Uses, Benefits of Global Fishing Watch Technology Posted Mon, November 17, 2014
- Video: Humpback Whales Cause Quite the Surprise As They Hunt for Herring Posted Wed, November 19, 2014