On Sunday, amid performances by the Roots, Passion Pit and John Legend, Oceana spokeswimmer Aaron Peirsol spoke at the Earth Day Climate Rally on the National Mall here in Washington.
“Ocean acidification is a real threat, as is overfishing,” he told the crowd. “New drilling must be forestalled while other invaluable, sustainable alternatives such as wind energy adopted. Today, I'm helping here by speaking and partnering with the ocean conservation group Oceana.
Together, we created Race for the Oceans, an open water swimming event that raises money and awareness toward ocean conservation. We also created Racefortheoceans.org, an online forum for swimmers and conservationists alike.”
Aaron was in good company; other NGO representatives included Fred O’Regan from International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) and Gene Karpinski from the League of Conservation Voters (LCV), and Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) and Ed Markey (D-Ma.) were among the lawmakers who spoke to the crowd.
Aaron said he felt humbled to speak alongside such well-known leaders and thinkers, and after his speech he blended in with the crowd, slinging a camera over his shoulder, rather than a backstage pass.
The official date for Race for the Oceans 2010 will be September 25-26 in Newport Beach, CA -- Aaron’s hometown. Stay tuned for more information in the coming months on where to sign up.
You can also still bid on a private swim clinic with Aaron as a part of Christie’s Green Auction.
- Ocean Roundup: Morbillivirus Strikes the Florida Keys, New Species of Snailfish Discovered in Mariana Trench, and More Posted Mon, December 22, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Deep Sea Sediments Act as Microplastic Sinks, Risso’s Dolphins Stranding in High Numbers, and More Posted Thu, December 18, 2014
- Photos: Christmas Island's Incredible Red Crab Migration is Underway Posted Mon, December 22, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Task Force Releases Recommendations on Seafood Fraud, Sea Otters Critical to Healthy Marshes, and More Posted Tue, December 16, 2014
- Video: Drone Captures Amazing Humpback Whale Feeding Event on Camera Posted Thu, December 18, 2014